• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Depreciation resistant contractor's cars?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depreciation resistant contractor's cars?

As the economy enters a new phase of doom are we going to see significant bargains in certain prestige cars and other luxury items?

Seems you can already get an Aston Martin V8 Vantage or DB9 for around £30k. Looking at prices for the older DB7 it appears the baseline for these may be not much less than £20k in another 10 years, so not bad depreciation at all. I've lost 10k on a car in less than a year before now.

Maybe there are certain Porsches and other decent cars that will hold up the same, while not being too costly to run and can still be used for daily driving/commuting without much compromise if not doing many hundreds of miles a week.

Seems a no brainer when you see how much other more mainstream cars costing £20k to £30k depreciate in just a few years. The lower depreciation would offset the higher servicing and fuel costs.

So a brand new Vauxhall/Ford/VW or a 5 year old Aston Martin? That shouldn't even be a question on here.

[also a fun way of storing some of the warchest to protect against bank thievery or sterling devaluation ]
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Originally posted by PAH View Post
    So a brand new Vauxhall/Ford/VW or a 5 year old Aston Martin? That shouldn't even be a question on here.
    As long as you don't mind the fuel costs or maintenance?
    "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Probably something like a Hyundai i20 for £8k with a 5 year warranty. It'll probably be worth £2.5 to £3k in five years time so in terms of depreciation and running costs it is difficult to fault it. And you get to keep >£20k in the bank compared to buying the 5 year old Aston. You know it makes sense.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
        As the economy enters a new phase of doom are we going to see significant bargains in certain prestige cars and other luxury items?

Seems you can already get an Aston Martin V8 Vantage or DB9 for around £30k. Looking at prices for the older DB7 it appears the baseline for these may be not much less than £20k in another 10 years, so not bad depreciation at all. I've lost 10k on a car in less than a year before now.

Maybe there are certain Porsches and other decent cars that will hold up the same, while not being too costly to run and can still be used for daily driving/commuting without much compromise if not doing many hundreds of miles a week.

Seems a no brainer when you see how much other more mainstream cars costing £20k to £30k depreciate in just a few years. The lower depreciation would offset the higher servicing and fuel costs.

[also a fun way of storing some of the warchest to protect against bank thievery or sterling devaluation ]
        They are cheap to buy because of the running costs (fuel, insurance, maintenance)

If you want something like that look into things that will actually appreciate like older Ferraris. 330GTC for example is worth 3x what it was worth 20 years ago.

If you want something with low depreciation get a 10 year old Audi or Merc that only costs £5k to begin with.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
          As long as you don't mind the fuel costs or maintenance?

As it would be outside the initial warranty (though a decent aftermarket warranty may be advisable, I expect most mechanical bits are costly to replace) then servicing at an independent may be the best bet, assuming Aston don't have any special tools or parts only their dealers have access to.

Fuel averages around 20 mpg on the V8V, so reasonable (and comparable to the VXR8 which is the other monster V8 option on my 'cars to own while I can' list) unless doing mega miles, when a cheap runabout would be better for commuting anyway, keeping the Aston in the garage for weekends and evenings.

As I'm mostly working from home for the foreseeable I don't do that many miles anyway.

Will have to remember to keep the Aston out of permie eyesight when visiting the client. Green eyed monster permies are a surefire way of getting one's contract ended prematurely as they'll tulip stir until the management decide it's the easier life choice.
          Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
            You know it makes sense.
            Ok for what I class as a disposable car. One you can abuse, abandon, and not really give a tulip about. Love bangers for that stress free aspect, knowing I could replace without blinking an eye. Anything under £10k is a 'banger' to contractors.

So I'm thinking of something that has a bit more soul, even if only as a second car. Something you look forward to driving, even if only down to the shops. Though something that won't lose thousands a month while sat in the garage, so a shrewd investment as much as any car can be.
            Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              They are cheap to buy because of the running costs (fuel, insurance, maintenance)
              According to minimal research done so far these baby Astons are comparable to 911s in terms of maintenance costs, when done at a reputable independent rather than shirt lifting main dealer.

Insurance and fuel is not much worse that most tasty cars that struggle to offer 30mpg.

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              If you want something like that look into things that will actually appreciate like older Ferraris. 330GTC for example is worth 3x what it was worth 20 years ago.

If you want something with low depreciation get a 10 year old Audi or Merc that only costs £5k to begin with.
              There's got to be some that cover both angles (hence me starting this thread), offering huge desirability and that specialness factor, yet not going to be a total money pit.

I imagine classic cars like older Ferraris are more garage jewellery that only get taken out for posing in at weekends when the weather is fine.

I'd prefer something that can be driven daily in relative comfort and style if desired, and have at least some semblance of reliability.

I must have pissed away close to £100k on motors over the last 15 years, so why stop now? You only live once as far as we know, so may as well enjoy it. Can get a boring car when I'm an old fart with no decent income or pension.
              Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Connect four.
                Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Toyota GT 86.

£25K new. Low expected depreciation, very low running costs (though long waiting list).
                  Cats are evil.

Comment

My 12-year old S2000 is effectively depreciation proof. Loads of fun to drive, but with the age, mileage and Tesco-dents (not caused by me), I can't imagine I'd get more than £2k for it. I'll probably just keep it until something becomes more expensive to fix than it's worth.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X