• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

breakdown cover for electrical items

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

breakdown cover for electrical items

Hey all

Was looking into some kind of breakdown insurance/warranty for one of our plasma TVs, which will cost around £5/month. Then I got to thinking about everything else in the home, like the other 2 plasmas, the PS3, fridge, washer/dryer etc etc.

Is there a general "all-in" kind of breakdown cover for these things? i.e I would much rather just pay £20/month or whatever and know that all or most of my items are covered.

There are general breakdown insurance policies and they're a heck of a lot cheaper than any extended warranty.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Waste of money like boiler cover.

Comment

Try Homeserve.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          Waste of money like boiler cover.
          Actually this is one of the most worthwhile policies we have taken out, with BG. Then again, our boiler is a 20 year old workhorse and we've certainly got our value out of paying BG £16/month.

We've also got BG boiler cover in our BTLs - it saves a lot of hassle and takes all the stress away.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
            Actually this is one of the most worthwhile policies we have taken out, with BG. Then again, our boiler is a 20 year old workhorse and we've certainly got our value out of paying BG £16/month.

We've also got BG boiler cover in our BTLs - it saves a lot of hassle and takes all the stress away.
            20 year old boiler is going to use twice as much gas as a new A rated condenser, so it's costing you a fortune.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
              Hey all

Was looking into some kind of breakdown insurance/warranty for one of our plasma TVs, which will cost around £5/month. Then I got to thinking about everything else in the home, like the other 2 plasmas, the PS3, fridge, washer/dryer etc etc.

Is there a general "all-in" kind of breakdown cover for these things? i.e I would much rather just pay £20/month or whatever and know that all or most of my items are covered.

Buy your electrical items in any EU country other than the UK and you get a 2 year warrenty.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

20 year old boiler is going to use twice as much gas as a new A rated condenser, so it's costing you a fortune.
                That's what they would have you believe, I know people who have condenser boilers and they're actually not that much cheaper than the old back boilers
                In Scooter we trust

Comment

How much does it cost to have a boiler replaced compared to the gas that the old one is burning?

When we have to have our 20 year old boiler replaced, I want to keep the water tank and replace like with like. I quite like the fact that there is a limited supply of hot water. That way I know my daughter will not spend an infinite (and then some) amount of time in the shower.
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    Buy your electrical items in any EU country other than the UK and you get a 2 year warrenty.
                    Sales of Goods act ... Your rights - Understanding the Sale of Goods Act - Sale of goods - Which? Consumer Rights

If you go back to the retailer after the manufacturers warranty has expired the retailer still has the responsibility under the act. You're contracts with them.

HTH

Comment

Working...
                    X