• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Garden Centre Christmas Trees

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garden Centre Christmas Trees

Did a tour of a few of the Local garden centres this weekend and couldn't help noticing how high the prices were.

I've been on the West Country garden centre scene for more than 10 years and have never seen prices this high even when accounting for inflation.

By my reckoning, they were charging ten quid a foot! Mind you, people do tend to go for Nordmanns and Norway Blues which are slower growing and have to be imported.

Nice trees but I think if I were to buy one I'd go for a rootballed tree.

This year, missus and I went up to the big house with a bow saw and helped ourselves to a six foot Norway Spruce. Just like we do every year

I know a place you can get them cheap if you want 500 trees.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Same here: I asked the question & apparently the EU stopped paying subsidiaries on trees a few years back, therefore less were planted & hence the ones out there are more expensive.

I would prefer a rooted tree but my local garden centre only has 2’ trees in the tub: so I’ll be buying cut trees for a few years yet
      Growing old is mandatory
      Growing up is optional

Comment

These days I prefer a great big fibre optic tree.

Much more interesting to look at, no needles to clean, reusable, and ecologically sounder
        Last edited by OwlHoot; 19 December 2011, 15:25.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

we normally have a real tree in the dining room. However when we went to get one I spotted an artificial tree on sale. The staff couldn't find the box for the tree so I got even more knocked off. I ended up getting it for less than £40.
          It was a bargain and looks really nice.

The price of an equivalent real tree would have been £40-60. So I think I've got myself a good deal.

Comment

Christmas trees? Makes yer sick dunnit?

Feeling under the weather? You've got Christmas Tree Syndrome - Telegraph

Comment

They are a ripoff, although (if you are as mean as me) they make nice blaze on next year's fire. Other plus side is nice little hibernating Ladybirds.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
                Did a tour of a few of the Local garden centres this weekend and couldn't help noticing how high the prices were.

I've been on the West Country garden centre scene for more than 10 years and have never seen prices this high even when accounting for inflation.

By my reckoning, they were charging ten quid a foot! Mind you, people do tend to go for Nordmanns and Norway Blues which are slower growing and have to be imported.
                B&Q: 6-foot trees were £20 for one of those traditional short-needle ones, and £40 for the Nordman ones. The cheap ones sold out here 2 weeks before Xmas so we got a nice plump 4' Nordman for £20... more than ideal but nowhere near £10/foot.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

£10 a foot!!!!

£38 for a 9ft one I got. Few quid more than last year but not too bad.
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

They should be cheaper - they grow on trees ffs
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                    X