• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

That awkward rate moment when..........

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That awkward rate moment when..........

.......someone realises they are on substantially less than everyone.

During the quiet Xmas time, the contractors around us got chatting about our rates. Now in our team, we all work generally the same role, similar experience and apart from one person, generally work 8.30 till 5.30 (project depending). So we go around the table, and rates come out £500, £475, £525 etc. Then we get to the person who works long hours most days. Looking somewhat crestfallen, they said they were only on £280 PD - apaprently it is there 2nd contract role after being permie for 25 years and thought £280 was good!

Be an interesting conversation with there manager in January!!

Originally posted by SneakySimon View Post
    .......someone realises they are on substantially less than everyone.

During the quiet Xmas time, the contractors around us got chatting about our rates. Now in our team, we all work generally the same role, similar experience and apart from one person, generally work 8.30 till 5.30 (project depending). So we go around the table, and rates come out £500, £475, £525 etc. Then we get to the person who works long hours most days. Looking somewhat crestfallen, they said they were only on £280 PD - apaprently it is there 2nd contract role after being permie for 25 years and thought £280 was good!

Be an interesting conversation with there manager in January!!
    I just have to say Hahahaha.

Seriously though, he can't be a good business can he. Just goes to show that you need at least a modicum of business nous as well as technical expertise to be a successful contractor.

All of my contracts, including my first one, have been at a decent enough rate - otherwise I wouldn't have seen the point of contracting.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
      I just have to say Hahahaha.

Seriously though, he can't be a good business can he. Just goes to show that you need at least a modicum of business nous as well as technical expertise to be a successful contractor.

All of my contracts, including my first one, have been at a decent enough rate - otherwise I wouldn't have seen the point of contracting.
      If you don't know, you don't know.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Why on earth would you discuss your rate with other contractors?
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          Why on earth would you discuss your rate with other contractors?
          What's your rate?

Comment

Do you think there's a corresponding bunch of agents discussing how much they are gouging their contractors? And one of them displays an amount of glee exactly equal to the level of despair the contractor shows?
            Keeping calm. Keeping invoicing.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
              What's your rate?
              £25 a day more than yours for the same job.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by doomage View Post
                Do you think there's a corresponding bunch of agents discussing how much they are gouging their contractors? And one of them displays an amount of glee exactly equal to the level of despair the contractor shows?
                Absolutely. But when they're in the pub they're all to scared to go to the toilet first because when they come back the others have scarpered and left the 1st one with the bill and are back at the office trying to nick his clients.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  £25 a day more than yours for the same job.
                  £25 per hour more than yours for doing bugger all (at the moment) :-)
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I know there's all this stuff around never discussing rates and as long as you're happy etc...
                    But I'm all for it being open and honest, otherwise the agencies are just playing the same sort of games that ClientCo plays with permies.... Keep it hush hush and then you can under pay those that don't complain or are so beaten down and give the old "well it's a 5% rise" knowing 5% of f-all is still f-all.

If I'm friendly with a few contractors then I'll generally ask, if I'm told to piss off then fair enough. Obviously if someone was brought in for some obscure in-demand knowledge then good on them if they're on £200 more per day, I'm certainly not going to cry about it. But it's case like that quoted that annoy me, although I do wonder if he's done any type of research at all.

When you know that the average rate is (in this instance) £500 with people on £475 to £525 then those on £475 know there's an easy bit of wiggle room, aim for £525 and probably settle for £500 without much boat rocking.

Maybe that's just me...
                    Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

Working...
                    X