• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much is too much

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much is too much

I'm struggling with "only" 16GB of RAM here. How much do you have in your primary workstation?
    <4GB, I'm cheap
    16.67%
    4-8GB, I'm a lightweight
    27.78%
    8-16GB, it was cheap
    27.78%
    >16GB and I use every drop
    5.56%
    I'm too busy ramming AndyW's mum
    22.22%
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

I remember my first PC had 200MB - of disk....

Comment

Bit of a poll fail, dd, what option do I choose if I have exactly 8??

What the flip are you running anyway to have issues with 16Gb?
      It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post

Ooh, good spot on the overlap there.

I'm running VMWare with 1 VM that needs about 8GB and another that needs 6, plus web browser clients on the local machine. Time for an upgrade, those 8GB DIMMS are < £100 now. Only problem is I need a new CPU and motherboard as well.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          I'm running VMWare with 1 VM that needs about 8GB and another that needs 6, plus web browser clients on the local machine. Time for an upgrade, those 8GB DIMMS are < £100 now. Only problem is I need a new CPU and motherboard as well.
          So effectively you have 1 machine with 8GB, 1 with 6GB and another with 2GB

Do both your VM's need all the RAM all the time? I thought the host should be able to dynamically allocate RAM as and when it was required
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            Do both your VM's need all the RAM all the time? I thought the host should be able to dynamically allocate RAM as and when it was required
            Yes, pretty much, as they are 2 parts of the same system so a request propagates via the 6GB one to the 8GB one then back through the 6GB one and finally to the client, so RAM allocation moving back and forth means it takes a while to do anything, and it's not exactly speedy anyway.

It's total bloatware.Not my doing I'd like to add.

I think I'm going to have to split the work over a couple of machines. I'll shift one of the VMs on to my laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post

You have 8192MB so thats > than 8GB.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                You have 8192MB so thats > than 8GB.
                Let's not get into gigabytes and gibibytes in General shall we?

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
                  Let's not get into gigabytes and gibibytes in General shall we?
                  Specifically in General?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    Specifically in General?
                    Of course. This is the last place for that sort of discussion.

Back to the

Comment

Working...
                    X