• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Theatre break recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Theatre break recommendations

Thinking of a pressie for her indoors - trip to stinking smoke to see God-Forsaken musical like Les Mis or some other utter utter tulipe - any website recommendations etc - of course I can Google but if anyone's already used an outfit I can get a personal rec (or not). Cheers

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Thinking of a pressie for her indoors - trip to stinking smoke to see God-Forsaken musical like Les Mis or some other utter utter tulipe - any website recommendations etc - of course I can Google but if anyone's already used an outfit I can get a personal rec (or not). Cheers
    Can't recommend an outfit, but if you're doing the theatre you could do worse than see 39 Steps. Think of the 193* Hitchcock film, all done with 3 actors, tongue-in-cheek (and with a bit of ad-libbing)

Great laugh, mate of mine took a laydee along for his Ltd Xmas party, both loved it.
    Gronda Gronda

Comment

I'm not a great theatre goer but Stomp is different and very entertaining.
      Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by the_rangdo View Post
        Can't recommend an outfit, but if you're doing the theatre you could do worse than see 39 Steps. Think of the 193* Hitchcock film, all done with 3 actors, tongue-in-cheek (and with a bit of ad-libbing)

Great laugh, mate of mine took a laydee along for his Ltd Xmas party, both loved it.
        39 steps is very good and not expensive either. It's not a musical though (if that's what you are after).

The best musical I have seen recently was Avenue Q but that has gone off on tour now so not on in London.

Blood Brothers is another one I'd single out as being very good indeed.

Of the rest, Les Mis is pretty good, Phantom of the Opera is ok, other than that the current crop are fairly average IMO.

There are some fairly good plays on. 39 Steps and The Mousetrap are the two I've seen. Also the Railway Children which was very good (in the old Eurostar platforms) but I think is about to finish.
        "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
          The Mousetrap
          I've been an Agatha Christie fan since I was in my teens and have most of her books, like 80+.

My wife took me to see the Mousetrap a couple of years ago for my birthday and St Martin's Lane Theatre is by far THE MOST UNCOMFORTABLE auditorium/cinema/theatre seating I have ever experienced, play was fab when I could switch my focus from how painful the seating was.

It'll be fine if you're a slim 4'2" midget.
          Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
            I've been an Agatha Christie fan since I was in my teens and have most of her books, like 80+.

My wife took me to see the Mousetrap a couple of years ago for my birthday and St Martin's Lane Theatre is by far THE MOST UNCOMFORTABLE auditorium/cinema/theatre seating I have ever experienced, play was fab when I could switch my focus from how painful the seating was.

It'll be fine if you're a slim 4'2" midget.
            I found the box seats quite comfortable.
            "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
              I found the box seats quite comfortable.
              We were in the circle probably upper I expect. Cramped and uncomfortable, but then I am a 6'2" round bloke, obviously not the average when the theatre was built.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
                We were in the circle probably upper I expect. Cramped and uncomfortable, but then I am a 6'2" round bloke, obviously not the average when the theatre was built.
                Thanks for that - one to avoid then - I am 6'5" tall and haven't quite got to that far round yet thankfully but it still sounds like a bad bet.

Comment

I really fancy seeing War Horse (play not movie), so if you stump up for a couple of tickets I'll accompany Mrs PSB and you can go to the pub. Everyone's a winner!
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

A musical? Why don't you pop down your local, have a chat with the local hard man and buy yourself a shooter. Blow your brains out for a more pleasurable and economical break.

How about going to Stratford (upon Avon) to see something?

Comment

Working...
                    X