• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Passat Owners (don't laugh)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Passat Owners (don't laugh)

Anyone here had a petrol 2.0T estate? What's the mpg like? I know its the same engine as the Golf GTI but the car weighs 1700kg!

I'm only interested as you can get a 3 or 4 year old low mileage fully loaded SEL for sub £6k which is a lot of car for the money.

Milan?
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Anyone here had a petrol 2.0T estate? What's the mpg like? I know its the same engine as the Golf GTI but the car weighs 1700kg!

I'm only interested as you can get a 3 or 4 year old low mileage fully loaded SEL for sub £6k which is a lot of car for the money.

Milan?
    parkers and autotrader will tell you that
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
      They quote manufacturers figures which at 35mpg combined I find hard to believe.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
        No parkers and autotrader will tell you the official MPG figures which no one will ever get.

You need a real owner to tell you the truth. I think the Whatcar reader reviews may provide that information.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          No parkers and autotrader will tell you the official MPG figures which no one will ever get.

You need a real owner to tell you the truth. I think the Whatcar reader reviews may provide that information.
          In which case you need to ask for Passat 2.0T SEL Petrol owners

Real owner feedback depends on how and where they drive and their chioce of tyres (I've seen a 5mpg difference between the supplied eco tyres and the comfort tyres I replaced them with)

Compare the official figures with those from other similar cars with smaller/bigger engines and the petrol/diesel varients.
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

The Mk5 GTI has an official figure of 35mpg. Real world this is more like 32mpg, which is still pretty good.

I would hazard a guess that the 2.0 TFSI in the Passat is tuned slightly differently, and will return a similar mpg. It's a great engine with good performance and reliability, though it does need RON 98 petrol which costs more.
            Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost

Can they really not stop water getting into the ECU?

After all these years?

On successive revisions?

Stunning.
              They probably hadn't considered the special properties of Welsh rain.

Comment

If you're going for a pre-2008 model with a PD engine, make sure it's had all 4 injectors replaced. They used to be £800 a pop, but VW are replacing them free of charge, but if they haven't been replaced, the engine can cut out at any speed.

Comment

I've got the same engine in Audi A3 sportback 5dr. On a motorway run 80mph-90mph, I get about 34-36mpg depending on whether I use normal or super petrol. Driving locally though around London lots of stop / starts I'm seeing 21-23mpg

Comment

Is your life really that dull you actually want to own a Passat when there are lots of interesting cars out there?

Comment

Working...
                    X