• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just been mugged by a polar bear

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just been mugged by a polar bear

One of the perils of working from home, charity callers.

A nice lass from the WWF just called and I was powerless to resist her charms. Signed me up for their adopt a polar bear scheme, paying by direct debit each month.

Shame she didn't come a few weeks earlier I could have given the stuffed toy bear they send out as a Christmas present.

I suppose if the monthly donation becomes too much of a strain on my finances I can easily cancel the direct debit after the toy comes.

Going to ignore the doorbell for the rest of the day. Carol singers will be around later.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Originally posted by PAH View Post
    One of the perils of working from home, charity callers.

A nice lass from the WWF just called and I was powerless to resist her charms. Signed me up for their adopt a polar bear scheme, paying by direct debit each month.

Shame she didn't come a few weeks earlier I could have given the stuffed toy bear they send out as a Christmas present.

I suppose if the monthly donation becomes too much of a strain on my finances I can easily cancel the direct debit after the toy comes.

Going to ignore the doorbell for the rest of the day. Carol singers will be around later.
    Coffee and keyboard moment
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Standard answer - I don't buy or do charity donations from home - despite how nice your norks are*

*this last part is not always said out loud.
      Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        Coffee and keyboard moment

You thinking it's a scam and she's not really from the WWF?

Or laughing that there are still soft touches like me with more cash than sense?

If my money ends up in her own bank account I'll just have to claim a timeshare on the piece of ass I now own.
        Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
        Feist - I Feel It All
        Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Damn viscious those polar bears:

BBC News - Polar bear cub is cool in care
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I have a stock answer for door step callers, I'm sorry I am just renting the house, works prefectly well for Sky TV/Double Glazing/Gardening People, the charity callers are confused long enough for me to just close the door
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              Damn viscious those polar bears:

BBC News - Polar bear cub is cool in care
              If I got one of those for signing up I might actually think about it
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

In the past I have contract for charities. They are indeed business, most of the money goes on admin and paying companies closely allied to the directors.

Money for your bear goes on “Raising awareness of the threats of climate change that we all face” in other words it goes to a PR company.

The charity collect that came to your door is on commision
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  If I got one of those for signing up I might actually think about it
                  I wonder if you could inject it with something to stop it growing?
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Nice lass doing door-to-door? She could raise a heck of a lot more money by

Comment

Working...
                    X