• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trafalgar show accused of political correctness

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trafalgar show accused of political correctness

LONDON (Reuters) - An epic naval victory was celebrated on Tuesday but a descendant of its hero Admiral Horatio Nelson said the Battle of Trafalgar bicentenary was trying too hard not to offend historical enemies France and Spain.
    A highlight of the world's biggest naval review was featuring two fleets enacting a 19th century sea battle.
    But they have been called simply the red and the blue fleet rather than by country names, which has sparked a shot across the bows from Nelson's great great great granddaughter.
    "I am anti-political correctness. Very much against it. It makes fools of us," said 75-year-old Anna Tribe.
    "I think the idea of the blue team fighting the red team is pretty stupid. I am sure the French and Spanish are adult enough to appreciate we did win that battle," she added.
    The historian playing Nelson in the mock battle is equally annoyed.
    "If you obliterate history for the sake of political correctness, you can't learn from the past. Nelson thought politicians were cowards. I tend to agree," Alex Naylor said.

====================================

anyone up for some fresh air?

Perhaps the Poles should agree to Germans marching through Warsaw with Stuka bombers screeching overhead, to celebrate their victory over Poland.

Comment

It's a bloody stupid thing to do!

Either do it properly, or don't do it at all.

In the graveyard in Ulm there is a headstone above a grave of someone killed during the second world war. On it is an inscription that when translated to English says something like "In case we forget and do something so stupid again!".

Spod.

Comment

Perhaps the Poles should agree to Germans marching through Warsaw with Stuka bombers screeching overhead, to celebrate their victory over Poland.
        Had we conducted the Trafalgar victory celebrations in Paris, that might be a valid point. Anyway, the fireworks were amazing and that's good enough for me.

Comment

Working...
        X