• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mind the gap!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mind the gap!

Yes, I do mind the gap

"it's fine for the British Transport police to make us aware of the dangers of being drunk, but why aren't they – and Network Rail, whose responsibility this is – doing more to make their platforms safer?"

This represents all that is wrong with the UK today. Adults who are careless enough to fall in the gap should be run over. Children should be rescued and their parents thrown under. It might encourage people to take a bit more care and stop expecting someone else to do everything for them.

I think she has a valid point. Some of the gaps are ridiculous and with overcrowding on the platforms and trains getting worse it is an accident waiting to happen. I reckon disaster will strike during the Olympics.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

What exactly is different about "modern trains" that makes our victorian platforms unsuitable for them?

The gaps seem to be different for the same trains at different stations, or even on different platforms at the same station. In other words, the problem here is that the rails are in the wrong place. It seems to me that ensuring the distance from rail to platform edge is standard is a relatively simple engineering problem. Perhaps some kind of tape measure could be used?
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        What exactly is different about "modern trains" that makes our victorian platforms unsuitable for them?

The gaps seem to be different for the same trains at different stations, or even on different platforms at the same station. In other words, the problem here is that the rails are in the wrong place. It seems to me that ensuring the distance from rail to platform edge is standard is a relatively simple engineering problem. Perhaps some kind of tape measure could be used?
        Carriages have different lengths and are usually longer compared to the olden days. A long straight line on a curve is a recipe for longer gaps.

Of course thats a boring answer so instead I'll blame Bob and Kraut train designers.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Carriages have different lengths and are usually longer compared to the olden days. A long straight line on a curve is a recipe for longer gaps.
          This issue is fixed slightly by not having the doors right at the end of the carriages
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Yes, I do mind the gap

"it's fine for the British Transport police to make us aware of the dangers of being drunk, but why aren't they – and Network Rail, whose responsibility this is – doing more to make their platforms safer?"

This represents all that is wrong with the UK today. Adults who are careless enough to fall in the gap should be run over. Children should be rescued and their parents thrown under. It might encourage people to take a bit more care and stop expecting someone else to do everything for them.
            It's not always that clear cut:
            Tributes to blind man, 33, killed by tram in St Peter's Square Metrolink platform accident | Manchester Evening News - menmedia.co.uk

And having a physical barrier between passengers and the line is possible and relatively easy to engineer. The Jubilee line has this, as does the Singapore MRT

Platform screen doors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What really represents modern Britain is the almost total reliance on victorian age engineering!
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
              This issue is fixed slightly by not having the doors right at the end of the carriages
              That would make sense so we couldn't do that. And image if you had those glass doors you would need to cover so many options it would be impossible.

At least on London Underground you only have a single train type to deal with.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                That would make sense so we couldn't do that. And image if you had those glass doors you would need to cover so many options it would be impossible.

At least on London Underground you only have a single train type to deal with.
                It's not impossible to have some sort of universal opening barrier - the main hurdles are cost and reliability as I'd imagine there would be a large number of moving parts
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  There isn't a noticeable gap on the trains I use, and the latest carriage models have a sliding plate which moves out to meet the platform when the doors open. With these jobbies even wheelchairs can roll on and off without a problem.

I'm not in the UK of course...
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                    If memory serves me correctly, Picadilly Circus is known for it's big gaps, and not opening the end doors on each carriage isn't going to fix the problem.
                    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Working...
                    X