• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Electronics cheaper after Christmas?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electronics cheaper after Christmas?

Fancy upgrading my iPod Touch, but the latest generation Touch doesn't tempt me greatly: tulip camera, small screen, no GPS and Apple (pleased though I remain with my ancient Touch). Fancy trying a Samsung Galaxy S Wifi 5 Inch for a palm/pad size compromise of 5inch luxuriant browsing. Wait till the new year? I'll fiddle with one in Curry's first.

Some say electronics was cheapest during riots - that is if you don't mind spending a few years in prison

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      Fancy upgrading my iPod Touch, but the latest generation Touch doesn't tempt me greatly: tulip camera, small screen, no GPS and Apple (pleased though I remain with my ancient Touch).
      They were actually cheapest before xmas.

In years past, there hasnt been much of a price drop after xmas. Electronic goods are usually unaffected by these changes. Usually, with shops desperate to sell their junk, you get good deals before xmas, especially this year with spending down, more deals are available before xmas.

However groups like DSG (curries, dixons, etc) have some offers on till mid january. If I were you and you want ANYTHING at all with a HDD in, buy sooner rather than later. HDD prices tripled over a couple of months ago and are set to remain at inflated prices. Current units like ipod touch's and laptops, have the cheaper priced HDD's bundled in, however expect technology such as laptops over the next year to rise in price, or the capacity of HDD's fall.

Comment

Originally posted by wim121 View Post
        HDD prices tripled over a couple of months ago and are set to remain at inflated prices. Current units like ipod touch's and laptops, have the cheaper priced HDD's bundled in, however expect technology such as laptops over the next year to rise in price, or the capacity of HDD's fall.
        Or SSDs to become a much more realistic option.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          Or SSDs to become a much more realistic option.
          Hopefully so. Still annoys me that they are around £1 a GB. I don't see why though since they are far less complex than traditional drives .....

I cant wait till January, hopefully Raspberry's will be coming out soon ....

Comment

Hang him by the goolies is what I sat

Comment

They were actually cheapest before xmas.

In years past, there hasnt been much of a price drop after xmas. Electronic goods are usually unaffected by these changes. Usually, with shops desperate to sell their junk, you get good deals before xmas, especially this year with spending down, more deals are available before xmas.

However groups like DSG (curries, dixons, etc) have some offers on till mid january. If I were you and you want ANYTHING at all with a HDD in, buy sooner rather than later. HDD prices tripled over a couple of months ago and are set to remain at inflated prices. Current units like ipod touch's and laptops, have the cheaper priced HDD's bundled in, however expect technology such as laptops over the next year to rise in price, or the capacity of HDD's fall.
              The price seems to be jumping around like a jumpy thing, with a big price rise occurring before Christmas. According to one Amazon comment :

EDIT: THE Price went up by 64 quid in one day, to 199, I simply cannot believe it.!, what'z happpening Amazon??... Okay: Its came back down a bit 179, however at the original price of 135.00 I'm Happy I Grabbed a Bargain.
              And Amazon don't seem to be any cheaper than high street electrical stores.

Which is another area of interest. From the reviews I've seen, defect rates seem quite high for these devices. Who is best to buy from in the event of buying a dud, Amazon, or high street?

Comment

The price seems to be jumping around like a jumpy thing, with a big price rise occurring before Christmas. According to one Amazon comment
                That is a bit of a jump, usually prices only fluctuate by £20 or so.

Who is best to buy from in the event of buying a dud, Amazon, or high street?
                They should all subscribe to the same practices under the fair trading act, should in theory.

I dont order much off amazon, but they are a better internet trader for RMA's.

However PC World, who you think would be great for returns, being a large high street chain, are complete and utter nitwits, at least in these parts. I had to once, stand inside a PC World store, blocking the only till, refusing to be fobbed off by them, demanding a refund quietly and politely while reciting the Trading Standards Act line by line to the manager even when he threatened to call the police. I asked him to call the police if he wished as I was within my rights and they were trading illegally, but he never did. They were quite stubborn but after blocking the till for nearly two hours, I finally got my refund. If they werent retarded and their staff actually knew a single thing about technology, then there wouldnt have been an issue, but their staff seem as badly versed on technology as my grandmother.

I do prefer the high street in some cases though, as you can physically demand a refund and refuse to leave or relinquish the desk or staff member until they honour their legal obligations. However I tend to order from places like ebuyer.com. A lot of horror stories out there, but Ive done two RMA's over the last few years, buying from them every month or so. Never had a problem at all as they have always been very fair and honest. Both very painless. Once, they sent a new item out straight away, no arguments. The second time, sent a courier to collect and had a replacement in the same week delivered.

Comment

That is a bit of a jump, usually prices only fluctuate by £20 or so.

They should all subscribe to the same practices under the fair trading act, should in theory.

I dont order much off amazon, but they are a better internet trader for RMA's.

However PC World, who you think would be great for returns, being a large high street chain, are complete and utter nitwits, at least in these parts. I had to once, stand inside a PC World store, blocking the only till, refusing to be fobbed off by them, demanding a refund quietly and politely while reciting the Trading Standards Act line by line to the manager even when he threatened to call the police. I asked him to call the police if he wished as I was within my rights and they were trading illegally, but he never did. They were quite stubborn but after blocking the till for nearly two hours, I finally got my refund. If they werent retarded and their staff actually knew a single thing about technology, then there wouldnt have been an issue, but their staff seem as badly versed on technology as my grandmother.

I do prefer the high street in some cases though, as you can physically demand a refund and refuse to leave or relinquish the desk or staff member until they honour their legal obligations. However I tend to order from places like ebuyer.com. A lot of horror stories out there, but Ive done two RMA's over the last few years, buying from them every month or so. Never had a problem at all as they have always been very fair and honest. Both very painless. Once, they sent a new item out straight away, no arguments. The second time, sent a courier to collect and had a replacement in the same week delivered.
                  I suspect the guy who made that comment was looking at reseller prices now. Didn't see it in the shops looking today (or on eBuyer), so it will likely be Amazon. No price movement there yet. A little bit concerned about the dearth of technical details listed on Amazon UK though - the US site overfloweth with them, but is a different model number and I'm a little suspicious that the UK model hasn't got the latest Android O/S installed. Hmm, the joys of not buying Apple. But the iTouch ,while once in a class of one, is outclassed now on gadgetry, expandability, connectivity and screen size. All it has going for it is that "it just works".

Comment

Carphone Warehouse were doing a sim free Google Nexus S for £200 today. Maybe I should have jumped, but I didn't and now it's out of stock and back listed as £480.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X