• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What should i do Next?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What should i do Next?

Guys, ive been contracting for about 2 1/2 years now as a systems admin mainly administering, building servers, migrations, exchange etc.

Managed to get a reasonably good rate for the area and have money in the bank.

I'm not really to sure what to do next, i fancy travelling around a little as im still only a young-un(23), but dont really want to do the backpacking stuff, so may contract abroad.

im looking at aus and newz, anyone have any experience of working abroad, how does the cost of living change etc.

Any help would be appriciated!
    Gerrrrrrrrrraaaaaaardddddddd. Wot a Hit son, what a hit!

Originally posted by 1yearlater
    Guys, ive been contracting for about 2 1/2 years now as a systems admin mainly administering, building servers, migrations, exchange etc.

Managed to get a reasonably good rate for the area and have money in the bank.

I'm not really to sure what to do next, i fancy travelling around a little as im still only a young-un(23), but dont really want to do the backpacking stuff, so may contract abroad.

im looking at aus and newz, anyone have any experience of working abroad, how does the cost of living change etc.

Any help would be appriciated!
    have you read the overseas guides that on on here?
    "Well behaved women rarely make history"

Comment

cheers, Janey. read through them and they''ve got some really good stuff in them.

Just wondered if anyone has actually done it and have any experiences.
      Gerrrrrrrrrraaaaaaardddddddd. Wot a Hit son, what a hit!

Comment

Why go abroad when all the foreigners are here anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by 1yearlater
          cheers, Janey. read through them and they''ve got some really good stuff in them.

Just wondered if anyone has actually done it and have any experiences.
          With Oz (and probably NZ) you will have visa issues. you'll be able to get a working holiday visa since you're under 30 but you'll only be able to work in any one place for 3 months and apparently a lot of companies won't consider people who are on this visa for this reason. To get any other kind of visa is a long drawn out process (I know this 'cos I'm in the middle of going through it myself).

There is a chance of getting a company to sponsor you but I have no idea about how to achieve this as I've been told that it's pretty rare for a company to be willing to do this unless you have skills that are extremely rare and they can't get an Ozzie national to do the job.

I reckon your best bet is Europe
          "Well behaved women rarely make history"

Comment

Originally posted by janey
            With Oz (and probably NZ) you will have visa issues. you'll be able to get a working holiday visa since you're under 30 but you'll only be able to work in any one place for 3 months and apparently a lot of companies won't consider people who are on this visa for this reason. To get any other kind of visa is a long drawn out process (I know this 'cos I'm in the middle of going through it myself).

There is a chance of getting a company to sponsor you but I have no idea about how to achieve this as I've been told that it's pretty rare for a company to be willing to do this unless you have skills that are extremely rare and they can't get an Ozzie national to do the job.

I reckon your best bet is Europe
            And the bastards get an easy ride here when they come over.
            Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Working...
            X