PDA

View Full Version : How high is an aircraft 5kms from airport on landing approach

milanbenes
26th December 2011, 16:44
evening experts,

hope you all had a great Christmas and have eaten enough

folks, plan b needs help,

we need to know,

when a passenger aircraft is on airport landing approach and the aircraft is 5kms form the airport, under typical european norms, how high will the aircraft be in the sky ?

thanks and all the best

Milan.

OwlHoot
26th December 2011, 16:56
If you're thinking of a rapid parachute disembarkation feature, for busy executives in a hurry, don't forget they'll need their luggage and laptops thrown out with them

KimberleyChris
26th December 2011, 16:56
They usually fly down a localiser beam, which is inclined at about 3 degrees up from the threshold, so you will have to get the old Napier tables out :-)

Some airports (for example 'City' airports such as London City), and those surrounded by high terrain, like for example Innsbruck, require a steeper approach, and the aircraft permitted to use them will be certified for that angle.

For an extreme example - Google 'Twin Otter Landing' and imagine what a first time arrival would feel like from the cabin, with only a side view....

KimberleyChris
26th December 2011, 17:07
Here's an even better one....

De Havilland DHC6 Twin Otter Landings at Saint Barthélemy HD - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=664Gb5pkHIU)

Vommitttt... :-)

Paddy
26th December 2011, 17:11
BBC - GCSE Bitesize: The three formulae: sin, cos, tan (http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/maths/shapes/trigonometryrev1.shtml)

Air Traffic Engineering (http://atcsl.tripod.com/atc_engineering.htm)

EternalOptimist
26th December 2011, 17:19
It's dependant upon the location, season and time of day.

for example in Singapore in the daytime, it could be coming in at 50 degrees, In London in the summer it could be 33 degrees.
But in Helsinki, at the same time, it could be coming in at five degrees

:rolleyes:

milanbenes
26th December 2011, 17:26
fer feck's sake

so how high is the fecking aircraft 5kms from the airport on the landing approach ?

jeeez call yourselves experts

Milan.

KimberleyChris
26th December 2011, 17:27
At 5000m I make it about 262 m,,,around 700 - 750 feet. Pretty low.

MarillionFan
26th December 2011, 17:28
Ah the old 'buy a surface to air rocket launcher and threaten to blow up planes unless the authorities pay you £50million' plan B. :eyes

scooterscot
26th December 2011, 17:29
Does it not depend on the airport air traffic controller on duty?

milanbenes
26th December 2011, 17:33
looks lads nice effort but I'd rather see some substantiable evidence than a simple I makes its about 292m

feck's sake kids today

:ohwell

Milan.

KimberleyChris
26th December 2011, 17:33
fer feck's sake

so how high is the fecking aircraft 5kms from the airport on the landing approach ?

Milan.

"Milanbenes is professional and courteous"
Happy new year :-)
Please remember that we are all permapissed this week.

NotAllThere
26th December 2011, 17:34
At 15km, above my house, at 6:00am - too bloody low. :mad

KimberleyChris
26th December 2011, 17:37
5 degees equals 5.24 percent.
5000 times 5.24 percent equals 262 metres....simples!!!!

(Why am I on the dole !!!!!)

TimberWolf
26th December 2011, 17:37
At 5000m I make it about 262 m,,,around 700 - 750 feet. Pretty low.

Yeah, that's what I made it too, and likewise Google produced a 3% glide angle. So tan(3 degrees) is about 1 down for every 19 across. Though presumably the aircraft would aim to touch down some 500m or so along the runway, so say just under 300m high at 5km distant. Doesn't sound high, but is probably only a minute or so from landing.

EternalOptimist
26th December 2011, 17:38
at 5km

passanger jets have the 800m slot
santa - 800 -1000
harry potter 1000 -1200
alien attackers 1200 - 1500

:rolleyes:

milanbenes
26th December 2011, 17:41
Kim et al

if that's the best you can do then so be it

have a great new year,

Milan.

KimberleyChris
26th December 2011, 17:41
Ooops...missed a nought off there...

That's maybe why I am on the dole :-)

Bollocks anyway...It's still flying..

Cliphead
26th December 2011, 17:45
Google instrument approach plates.

Every airport is different and many factors will affect the glideslope if flying an IFR approach and a VFR approach can vary every time. There's no definitive at 5km an Airbus 319 will be at x altitude answer.

AtW
26th December 2011, 17:54
Ah the old 'buy a surface to air rocket launcher and threaten to blow up planes unless the authorities pay you £50million' plan B. :eyes

:eek

Troll
26th December 2011, 18:57
evening experts,

hope you all had a great Christmas and have eaten enough

folks, plan b needs help,

we need to know,

when a passenger aircraft is on airport landing approach and the aircraft is 5kms form the airport, under typical european norms, how high will the aircraft be in the sky ?

thanks and all the best

Milan.You are D.B. Cooper & I claim $200,000 in negotiable American currency

wim121
26th December 2011, 19:59
Just out of interest, why the pondering?

At 15km, above my house, at 6:00am - too bloody low. :mad
FYI, be thankful if you are under a runway approach flightpath, far better than being under a takeoff path as the engines are throttled back for landing whereas on takeoff, they are running at a far more intensive rate.

5 degees equals 5.24 percent.
5000 times 5.24 percent equals 262 metres
200m-300m isnt too bad at all. Unless it is windy and the flight team are struggling to control the glide, you shouldnt be overly disturbed by it.

....simples!!!!
(Why am I on the dole !!!!!)
Because you're a meerkat? :confused::confused:

pacharan
26th December 2011, 20:01
How the bell do you even think about asking a question like that at Christmas?

Have you run out of beer or something?

tractor
26th December 2011, 20:29
Real .netters would have the answer in the latest support pack they are pretending to hide from us because it has goodies in it.

KentPhilip
27th December 2011, 02:02
Go to:

Flightradar24.com - Live Flight Tracker! (http://www.flightradar24.com)

and zoom in on a spot 5km from the runway at Heathrow. Wait for a plane to fly over that spot, click on it, and it will tell you in the left-hand pane its altitude.

IR35 Avoider
27th December 2011, 09:38
Here's an even better one....

De Havilland DHC6 Twin Otter Landings at Saint Barthélemy HD - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=664Gb5pkHIU)

Vommitttt... :-)

See my description of Courchevel airport in a previous discussion.

I think it was Meribel (might have been Courcheval) where one run passes the top of the little airport. The runway looks like it's only about 300 metres long, it appears planes land into the mountain and rely on the uphill slope of the runway to slow them down. On take-off, if they can't get up to speed I guess it doesn't matter, as they'll pick up plenty of speed once they've gone off the cliff at the end of the downhill side of the runway.

(Maybe it was Courcheval, I remember checking after that holiday and found I could fly direct to the airport from London City airport, which is only 15 minutes from home for me.)

http://forums.contractoruk.com/general/14838-meribel.html

Here's a video showing the pilots view of a landing followed by a take-off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCsQuVrmj1g

Ruprect
27th December 2011, 11:06
fer feck's sake

Milan.

"milanbenes is professional and courteous"

:confused:

milanbenes
27th December 2011, 13:06
afternoon all,

well we need to know this because there is a small airport and they are applying for planning permission to accept commercial passenger flights, they are saying 6 per hours during day light hours
and if they get the permission it will affect plan b

hence, wanting to know, how high the aircraft will be on the landing approach 5kms from the airport

not rocket science is it

so it seems from the esteemed experts present that we are talking 300m

will the aircraft be loud at that height on landing approach ?

Milan.

MarillionFan
27th December 2011, 13:16
afternoon all,

well we need to know this because there is a small airport and they are applying for planning permission to accept commercial passenger flights, they are saying 6 per hours during day light hours

hence, wanting to know, how high the aircraft will be on the landing approach 5kms from the airport

not rocket science is it

Milan.

No it won't be loud for small - mid sized planes. I'm in the flight path of a small airport and to be honest never notice it. Of course your Plan B for a Zen Garden and 'Massage by Milan' has other things to worry about.

milanbenes
27th December 2011, 13:19
thanks mate

how was Christmas and the inlaws ?

I hope hope hope, the mother-in-law didn't trip over this year and land on any young
members of the family - sorry for the reminder, but that was a shocker and I hope your
daughter fully recovered.

All the best,

Milan.

KimberleyChris
27th December 2011, 13:53
Courcheval is for girls. Try Lukla in Nepal.

It has its own fan club on Youtube.

The runway slopes steeply and ends in a rock face, once you begin approach there is no 'go round' - its land or go home.

There's a video of a plane that didn't make it, if you are a bit ghoulish :-)

Paddy
27th December 2011, 13:59
No it won't be loud for small - mid sized planes. I'm in the flight path of a small airport and to be honest never notice it. Of course your Plan B for a Zen Garden and 'Massage by Milan' has other things to worry about.

My mum’s home was 2 ½ miles away from touchdown. Sometimes you could see the crew if a plane came too low. She liked being on the flight path. The down side was having the car occasionally splattered with dirty kerosene.

TimberWolf
27th December 2011, 14:12
afternoon all,

not rocket science is it

Milan.

Also, as cliphead says the glide angle will vary for plane and conditions. I looked up the glide angle for a 737 (short haul trip plane) to get 3% glide angle. A small airport used by small aircraft may be different.