• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is the BNP worth worrying about?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the BNP worth worrying about?

"The party fielded more than 350 candidates and now has 44 seats in England. Before Thursday's local elections it held about 20 of 22,000."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4974870.stm

I may not be the best at maths, but even though they may have doubled the number of seats it's still doesn't seem as if they can muster 0.25%.

Compared to Belgium and their equivalent - don't look up the figures, I did and it's scary - is there really anything to worry about in the UK?

Im more concerned about your recent brush with the Belgian Bureaucrats, hows it all going... any updates ?

Cheers

Comment

Well, they haven't kicked me out yet - can't legally anyway - so I'm more or less carrying on as usual.

Deportation order is in the hands of a solicitor, I'm trying to get my qualification approved by another, hopefully faster (5 weeks), method, and apart from that inspector plod has been round to check I live here and left a form saying to go to the commune and bring all the documents I brought 18 months ago...oh and €3.70 for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Black
        Deportation order is in the hands of a solicitor
        Are you a EU citizen? If so, how the feck can "deportation" even be applied to you?

Comment

Ehh, just a mo I'll check me passport....em, yeh...says British Citizen, place of birth Manchester.

How can they do that?, well they can't basically. They can try but worst case scenario I take a day trip to London and come back and start all the paperwork all over again.

If you followed the link on the other thread you'd see the courts have already told them to stop doing this, but...
          Last edited by Joe Black; 5 May 2006, 15:18.

Comment

So, why won't your solicitor strike their attempted deporation at source because you are a EU citizen and can't be deported, only extradited - if relevant police authorities looking for you.

Comment

Unfortunately it comes down to interpretation. As an EU citizen you have the right to live/work in other EU countries as long you can show that is the case.

As the EU court said, it comes down to not really following the 'spirit' of the law, but instead some bureaucracy designed with all the good intentions of an NL politician, and perhaps a bit of the "let's find a loophole" way of the French which results in the resident/non-resident, working/not working, can't be deported/but being deported status that I now seem to have.

Comment

Belgium

There's something wrong here...maybe it's just the particular official who is managing your dossier. As an EU national you shouldn't have any restrictions in Belgium. I'm based in Brussels and I'm a non-EU national (Canadian), yet I've had no problems whatsoever here, got all my permits etc. so it seems strange that you have these issues with the authorities.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  Is it coz you is Joe Black?
                  I think in Belgium the equivalent is actually Turkish or Moroccan.

Originally posted by Crown Royal
                  There's something wrong here...maybe it's just the particular official who is managing your dossier. As an EU national you shouldn't have any restrictions in Belgium. I'm based in Brussels and I'm a non-EU national (Canadian), yet I've had no problems whatsoever here, got all my permits etc. so it seems strange that you have these issues with the authorities.
                  Don't know your circumstances CR, but certainly I have the feeling, talking to other EU ex-pats, there is a difference (especially in the Flemish speaking communes) between people who come and work here on the basis they're only here temporarily and will be gone in a year or so, and those who like me are asking for the [standard] 5 year resident permit.

Went out with some friends last Friday who couldn't believe it as well, but then again I can hardly be the first if the ECJ has a case log going back years of this sort of thing happening.

Hmm, maybe it coz I'm Black?

Comment

Working...
                  X