• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

oh dear: Bankruptcies show dramatic rise

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh dear: Bankruptcies show dramatic rise

Bankruptcies show dramatic rise

More people are choosing to declare themselves bankrupt

More than 23,000 people became insolvent in England and Wales during the first three months of 2006 - 73% more than in the same period last year.

The figures from the government's Insolvency Service will add weight to the view that 2006 could see record levels of personal insolvency.

Experts have blamed the rise in insolvencies on greater personal debt and higher unemployment.

About two-thirds of people declared themselves bankrupt.

The remaining people took out Individual Voluntary Arrangements (IVAs) - an alternative to bankruptcy that allows debtors to come to an agreement with their creditors.

Meanwhile, seperate figures from the Department for Constitutional Affairs showed that the number of housholds in the early stages of having their home repossessed was at its highest level since 1992.

Culture problem

The number of companies going into liquidation also rose during the first quarter of 2006. In total, 3,439 firms went to the wall, representing an increase of 17% on the same period last year.

The level of personal and company insolvencies has been rising over the past two years.

According to Pat Boyden, a partner at accountancy firm PriceWaterhouseCoopers, said that consumers were paying for "spend now, worry later culture."

Mr Boyden added that personal insolvencies could "easily" surpass the 100,000 mark in 2006.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4976180.stm

---------

On the other hand everything is quiet in Baghdad...

With the change in the laws it is also much quicker to be discharged from bankruptcy. As long as you don't own a house you're okay. Also if you are a simple case then the insolvency practioner can keep his fees less than your assets, you're also okay. The maximum that the IP can drag things out is three years..previously there was no time limit. So its just sooo much nicer than before.

Those IP guys charge like £180/hr - yes hour. and that's for a cheap one. I know of one case were someone has gone bankrupt with £6,000 in assets. The IP has come back with a bill of £12,000 - presumably because he thinks the guy is hiding assets.
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000
      ...Those IP guys charge like £180/hr - yes hour. and that's for a cheap one. I know of one case were someone has gone bankrupt with £6,000 in assets. The IP has come back with a bill of £12,000 - presumably because he thinks the guy is hiding assets.
      £180/hr; so I can add Insolvency Practitioner to the list of occupations I should have done.

Comment

Working...
      X