• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Great Expectations on BBC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great Expectations on BBC

Now - this is different, I'm a great fan of the 1946 David Lean version, but this is better, wonderful telly, Gillian Anderson a bit annoying but that's it. Oh, and older Pip being too good looking, my daughters are all watching it cos they fancy him....

Even Ray Winston is good in this, and he annoys me...

Honestly I can criticise anything, and I've seen German, Swiss and Russian telly, mostly crap and some, like CH, the licence fee is like 400 quid for crap for nothing, they don't make anything, but hat's off to BBC for this, it's movie-standard, and the fee is what 120 quid? No idea, I just pay cos I'm worth it.

stek, sponsored by Loriel....

Originally posted by stek View Post
    Now - this is different, I'm a great fan of the 1946 David Lean version, but this is better, wonderful telly, Gillian Anderson a bit annoying but that's it. Oh, and older Pip being too good looking, my daughters are all watching it cos they fancy him....

Even Ray Winston is good in this, and he annoys me...

Honestly I can criticise anything, and I've seen German, Swiss and Russian telly, mostly crap and some, like CH, the licence fee is like 400 quid for crap for nothing, they don't make anything, but hat's off to BBC for this, it's movie-standard, and the fee is what 120 quid? No idea, I just pay cos I'm worth it.

stek, sponsored by Loriel....
    Reading that back do I come across as a miserable fooker?

Comment

I've recorded the series, but haven't got round to watching it yet.

The only thing that worries me is the apparently (form the trailers) absurdly young Miss Haversham, a bit like the last BBC attempt at Oliver Twist, where Fagin had a snub nose, and the kids were using cockney rhyming slang from the 1900s ("on your tod", from Tod Sloan), and magistrates were dishing out death sentences, in other words a complete flippin' farrago that would have had Dickens turning in his grave
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

No, you don't come across as a miserable fooker. Didn't think much of it myself, but I can't put my finger om why. I like the story, the acting was pretty good and I lost interest ...
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

I prefer the US version

On Thanks Giving Day Pip, an Irish-American orphan encounters an escaped Scottish freedom fighter Mc Magvitch The fighter scares Pip into stealing a laser to burn away his leg shackles but Pip also brings him food from the home he shares with his wicked British adopted parents. The freedom fighter is so impressed by this act of kindness that he never forgets it..
          As a young apprentice at Joe English’s forge, Pip is approached by a black lawyer, Mr Jaggers, who tells him he is to receive a large sum of money from an American benefactor and must leave for New York immediately where he is to become a gentleman. Pip believes Miss Havisham to be Islamic sympathizer. Estella is a Jewish refugee has returned from kibbutz
          Pip confronts Miss Havisham with Estella's history. Miss Havisham stands too close to the fire which ignites bombs, there is a huge explosion. Mc Magvitch (played by a black actor) saves Pip
          Last edited by Paddy; 30 December 2011, 11:48.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Not at all. Someone who recognises the difference between cheap pap and something with a small modicum of class is to be admired.

However, you did come across as ever so slightly pissed.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
              Not at all. Someone who recognises the difference between cheap pap and something with a small modicum of class is to be admired.

However, you did come across as ever so slightly pissed.
              Well spotted! JW Lees Moonraker......

Comment

Didn't see it, thought it would be effeminate.

Hornblower was a good drama made for TV series, better than the films IMO. Shame it was too expensive to continue.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  .. Miss Havisham stands too close to the fire which ignites bombs, there is a huge explosion. ..
                  So she must must have had sticks of dynamite stuffed up her corset.

Well there's no denying that's a plot twist Dickens never thought of.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    So she must must have had sticks of dynamite stuffed up her corset.

Well there's no denying that's a plot twist Dickens never thought of.
                    She must have been practicing because the fuse wire was dangling down each month
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X