• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

German help

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German help

Doing an OU course in Renaissance art. For my final project I'm doing a stained glass window from the Mariawald abbey in Germany (now in V&A). A very helpful chap sent me an email, and google translate has done a pretty good job on most of it. But there is one word it didn't get (perhaps a typo in the original?)

The coat of arms shows the red and yellow diagonal bars geschachteten the Cistercians and the two side panels each a torch.

Original:

Das Wappen zeigt den rot und gelb geschachteten Schrägbalken der Zisterzienser und in den beiden Seitenfeldern je eine Fackel.

I'm assuming something like 'representing' ?

Any suggestions?

TIA

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    Doing an OU course in Renaissance art. For my final project I'm doing a stained glass window from the Mariawald abbey in Germany (now in V&A). A very helpful chap sent me an email, and google translate has done a pretty good job on most of it. But there is one word it didn't get (perhaps a typo in the original?)

The coat of arms shows the red and yellow diagonal bars geschachteten the Cistercians and the two side panels each a torch.

Original:

Das Wappen zeigt den rot und gelb geschachteten Schrägbalken der Zisterzienser und in den beiden Seitenfeldern je eine Fackel.

Any suggestions?

TIA
    geschächteten

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
      geschächteten

Yeah - I'd ruled that one out before asking the question...

Comment

Yeah - I'd ruled that one out before asking the question...
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Original:

Any suggestions?

TIA
          Well "schacht" means "shaft", according to Google translate. So I guess the full word is some archaic German heraldic term along the lines of "beshafted".

edit: try running this through Google translate.

edit #2: Done it, out of curiosity:

Geschacht also geplätzelt, cubed, square pieces, chess, symbolic cards, square chip is, in heraldry, the term for a multiple fission and divide a shield into several equal-sized square spaces that must alternate in the tincture (checkerboard pattern). It is a Herald image.
          So evidently it means "chequered" (or whatever the British heraldic equivalent is).
          Last edited by OwlHoot; 30 December 2011, 18:24.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Have a looky at these suggestions

dict.cc | geschachteten | Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              Well "schacht" means "shaft", according to Google translate. So I guess the full word is some archaic German heraldic term along the lines of "beshafted".

edit: try running this through Google translate.
              Sounds painful!

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                If the verb is schachten (i.e. to shaft), then "shafted" would be right, if that makes any sense.

"Schach" is chess, so I wonder if it's some kind of reference to a chequer pattern? That'd be my wild uneducated (well intermediate German) guess.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                  Cheers - doesn't seem to be a good match there. It's probably not too critical to the general gist of what he's saying.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

"Schach" is chess, so I wonder if it's some kind of reference to a chequer pattern? That'd be my wild uneducated (well intermediate German) guess.
                    Yup, see the second edit to my reply above.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X