• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sharp rise in social care fees a stealth tax - Labour

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharp rise in social care fees a stealth tax - Labour

"There has been a sharp rise in the cost of council services for elderly and disabled people, Labour has warned.

Data from 93 out of 153 councils in England showed fees for meals on wheels has gone up by 13% over the last two years, while transport rose by 33%.

The survey also found huge regional variations in the charges, which Labour says have become a stealth tax.

The government said local authorities were responsible for non-residential care and changes should be affordable.

Cross-party talks on the future funding of care are to begin in the new year, the BBC understands.

The findings, the result of a freedom of information request by the Labour party, also found differences in the fees levied and the caps on the sum people - mainly the elderly - have to pay. "

Source: BBC News - Sharp rise in social care fees a stealth tax - Labour

--

I dunno, what's this prescription charge in free NHS for - a tax or a fee to cover cost of providing goods?!?!

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    I dunno, what's this prescription charge in free NHS for - a tax or a fee to cover cost of providing goods?!?!
    Oh, it's worse than both of those options. For the vast majority of those that actually pay for prescriptions, the "fee" is considerably more than the cost of providing the goods. Most drugs cost less than a few pounds, even with a handsome profit margin, so you are being heavily overcharged for what you are getting.

The really expensive drugs tend to be for those that don't even pay for prescriptions anyway because they are so sick they are not working.

So for most of those that actually pay for prescriptions - the NHS makes a killing.

Comment

I am so impressed with Centurian's reply I can't be bothered to check if it is true. I think it must be (bloody NHS, state, tax etc) so that's all that matters.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

These costs are not stealth taxes, just higher costs for services.

When they denied all knowledge of the existence of stealth taxes for years they now seem to be unable to know what a tax is.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          I am so impressed with Centurian's reply I can't be bothered to check if it is true. I think it must be (bloody NHS, state, tax etc) so that's all that matters.
          A good doctor should know the cost for each drug and be able to write a private prescription for under prescription cost prescriptions so you pay market rate for what you are getting. That is assuming that the doctor keeps up to date with drug costs which they are now meant to.

Ironically I just picked up a prescription for her in doors and paid nothing for it, nobody does these days up here.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            ...nobody does these days up here.
            Yep, all free up here.
            Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              A good doctor should know the cost for each drug and be able to write a private prescription for under prescription cost prescriptions so you pay market rate for what you are getting.
              GPs were doing just that a few years back, but I am pretty sure the NHS clamped down on it.

Comment

Working...
              X