PDA

View Full Version : Question for the experts: Which Tent ?

milanbenes
3rd January 2012, 07:23
Morning All,

well one of the new years resolutions is.... when the weather gets better, MB01 will take MB03 and MB04 away at weekends for Saturday / Sunday camping trips with other dads and their children to give everyone's xy02's a break and of course to have some fun.

So question is, which tent ?

I started looking at this Khyam Igloo but got scared of stories about condensation from the poly whatever main sheet, and I'm also worried that being taller than Sas I may have trouble getting into the thing...

Khyam Igloo (110042) from Somerset Camping (http://www.somersetcamping.co.uk/detail.asp?p=334)

Then, using the old philosophy that you have to be rich to be able to afford to buy cheap,

I started thinking about spending a bit more for something more long term, with more space for the long term, something easier to get in and out of, and most importantly cotton sheets which as far as I understand won't get condensation so,
I started looking at one of these more traditional beauties....

Nordisk Nando Bell Tent (http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/nordisk-nando-bell-tent-4996-p.asp)

so I am really leaning towards the Nordisk one, but, thought, before splashing out the hard earned, I should ask the experts first.

So folks, what to do and which is best ?

Milan.

Pondlife
3rd January 2012, 08:29
You didn't pick up on any of her subtle hints for a decent xmas present and now you have to sleep in the garden?

milanbenes
3rd January 2012, 08:33
he he

happy new year Taffy

Milan.

Acme Thunderer
3rd January 2012, 08:45
For weekend trips I would avoid the cotton one. If you have to take it down when its wet it will be a complete pain to get get dry when your back home. Not worth it for only a weekend.

I'd also go for tent with a small porch to keep wet shoes etc in, rather than have them in the main part fo the tent.

milanbenes
3rd January 2012, 08:59
thanks Acme,

well that's the Nordisk out of the window then

so what about the Khyam Igloo or do you have any recommendations ?

It's a mine field there are zillions to choose from

Thanks

Milan.

TimberWolf
3rd January 2012, 09:20
I paid £25 for my my first tent (Sundowner) and was happy with it, but it was a fraction short, so I bought another more expensive one for about £50, but it is a bit bigger and heavier to lug around. Horses for courses. Not yet experienced wet/bad weather in either.

Cotton and moisture are not usually associated in a positive way because cotton readily absorbs water and takes ages to dry out.

RasputinDude
3rd January 2012, 10:33
Go for nylon, not canvas - you'll be forever drying the canvas one out.

Aim for +1 on the number of people that you want to take, so if want to take 3 get a 4 man tent. Look for a porch area to store more stuff in and to shelter in and try to get one with an integrated ground sheet if you can.

Domed tents are easy to put up and fairly robust in British weather.

Don't go to town on cost - maybe £150 max - as they rip and the zips can fail quite a lot and the cost of replacing the zips can almost be as much as a new tent (which is my Scout group has a load of nylon tents with damaged zips).

I'd be looking at Vango myself as a starting point.

Acme Thunderer
3rd January 2012, 10:38
so what about the Khyam Igloo or do you have any recommendations ?

Can't give you weekend tent recommendations as we camp for a week or more at a time, so use larger tents which may take a little longer to get up and down. So far we have used a Vango Colorado , Outdoor Revolution and now use a trailer tent. The Outdoor Revolution is much better than the Colorado. Kyhams and Outwells seem to be a popular tents at the campsites we've been to.

Things to keep in mind
Sewn in ground sheets keep the wind and rain out
Where are you going to cook (or boil the kettle)

milanbenes
3rd January 2012, 10:55
thanks Acme

I will have a look at Vango

damn it's such a minefield, I don't mind to spend some £ but I want to do it once and do it right and not buy something and then find I bought a pile of poo and should have bought something else

Milan.

milanbenes
3rd January 2012, 10:56
Go for nylon, not canvas - you'll be forever drying the canvas one out.

Aim for +1 on the number of people that you want to take, so if want to take 3 get a 4 man tent. Look for a porch area to store more stuff in and to shelter in and try to get one with an integrated ground sheet if you can.

Domed tents are easy to put up and fairly robust in British weather.

Don't go to town on cost - maybe £150 max - as they rip and the zips can fail quite a lot and the cost of replacing the zips can almost be as much as a new tent (which is my Scout group has a load of nylon tents with damaged zips).

I'd be looking at Vango myself as a starting point.

thanks Rasputin

Milan.

Troll
3rd January 2012, 11:06
MB
Word on the street is you should get a caravan or a RV- both of which are VAT & tax deductible

The tent brigade (in the UK) tends to be drawn from the lower echelons of society and looked down upon by the others as somewhat the poor relations of outdoor life

Tents are fine if you're young, bit strapped for cash etc and can put up with the rigors but successful contractors should be used to more creature comforts)

just what I've heard & HIH

Paddy
3rd January 2012, 11:09
Morning All,

well one of the new years resolutions is.... when the weather gets better, MB01 will take MB03 and MB04 away at weekends for Saturday / Sunday camping trips with other dads and their children to give everyone's xy02's a break and of course to have some fun.

So question is, which tent ?

I started looking at this Khyam Igloo but got scared of stories about condensation from the poly whatever main sheet, and I'm also worried that being taller than Sas I may have trouble getting into the thing...

Khyam*Igloo (110042) from Somerset Camping (http://www.somersetcamping.co.uk/detail.asp?p=334)

Then, using the old philosophy that you have to be rich to be able to afford to buy cheap,

I started thinking about spending a bit more for something more long term, with more space for the long term, something easier to get in and out of, and most importantly cotton sheets which as far as I understand won't get condensation so,
I started looking at one of these more traditional beauties....

Nordisk Nando Bell Tent (http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/nordisk-nando-bell-tent-4996-p.asp)

so I am really leaning towards the Nordisk one, but, thought, before splashing out the hard earned, I should ask the experts first.

So folks, what to do and which is best ?

Milan.

Your choice is OTT for price and none of those are suitable for family use.

You will need a minimum of sleeping quarters plus a cooking area.

Don’t buy until you see it erect.

Camping Equipment | Camping Accessories | Camping Furniture (http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/camping) have large outdoor displays

OSWALD BAILEY (http://www.oswaldbailey.co.uk/home.htm) large branches have indoor displays

When you buy, practice erecting in the garden first before you go camping..

Churchill
3rd January 2012, 11:09
Buy a campervan.

milanbenes
3rd January 2012, 11:26
nooooooooooo

it's just a tent for going away for saturday and coming back sunday

to go as a group of dads and children once a month or so during the summer time

i guess we'll be cooking on a fire, not in the uk and in central europe hence will be expecting glorious weather

so i guess something like this might be good enough...

Vango Midas 400 Moss Green (100044) from Somerset Camping (http://www.somersetcamping.co.uk/detail.asp?p=1157&product=Midas) 400 Moss Green

how's that ?

Milan.

Churchill
3rd January 2012, 11:31
nooooooooooo

it's just a tent for going away for saturday and coming back sunday

to go as a group of dads and children once a month or so during the summer time

i guess we'll be cooking on a fire, not in the uk and in central europe hence will be expecting glorious weather

Vango*Midas 400 Moss Green (100044) from Somerset Camping (http://www.somersetcamping.co.uk/detail.asp?p=1157&product=Midas) 400 Moss Green

how's that ?

Milan.

Enrol your kids in the Scouts, sorted.

milanbenes
3rd January 2012, 11:33
he he

happy new year Winston

anyway experts, what's the verdict, which tent ?

or alternatively, experts, which one of these should I get:

4 Man Tent - 4 Person Tent - 4 Berth Tents - Cheap 4 Man Tents (http://www.outdoorworld.co.uk/tents/tents-by-size/4-man-tents?dir=desc&limit=all&order=price)

Milan.

Churchill
3rd January 2012, 11:35
he he

happy new year Winston

anyway experts, what's the verdict, which tent ?

or alternatively, experts, which one of these should I get:

4 Man Tent - 4 Person Tent - 4 Berth Tents - Cheap 4 Man Tents (http://www.outdoorworld.co.uk/tents/tents-by-size/4-man-tents?dir=desc&limit=all&order=price)

Milan.

Happy New Year to you too.

Ask the other Dads what they're using/intending to use.

d000hg
3rd January 2012, 11:52
Don’t buy until you see it erect.Good advice for all types of camping.

xoggoth
3rd January 2012, 11:58
you have to be rich to be able to afford to buy cheap

In that case why not buy my old family tent so show how rich you are? It's in the attic somewhere and in great condition apart from smelling of old ladies. Everything stored in my attic smells of old ladies for some reason.

fullyautomatix
3rd January 2012, 12:24
Buy a one man tent ( cost tenner ) and make the kids sleep on the grass. That way you will have a peaceful night's sleep and the kids will get tougher by braving the elements.

Churchill
3rd January 2012, 12:27
In that case why not buy my old family tent so show how rich you are? It's in the attic somewhere and in great condition apart from smelling of old ladies. Everything stored in my attic smells of old ladies for some reason.

Oi, Norman! Shift your Mother out of the attic.

Moscow Mule
3rd January 2012, 12:34
Get everybody thats going a swag (http://www.theaussieshop.co.uk/swags.htm).

They are awesome for a "great outdoorsy"experience.

Or, get everybody a lightweight hammock and a big tarp. Much more fun than tents.

Acme Thunderer
3rd January 2012, 13:06

Vango*Midas 400 Moss Green (100044) from Somerset Camping (http://www.somersetcamping.co.uk/detail.asp?p=1157&product=Midas) 400 Moss Green

how's that ?

Looks as if it will be quite simple to set-up, 4 poles and stretch out. 2 bedrooms and a living area. Ticks most of the boxes

As others have said best to see it erected

TimberWolf
3rd January 2012, 13:38
Or, get everybody a lightweight hammock and a big tarp. Much more fun than tents.

I've done that a few times. It saved on flight costs too as everything fitted into my carry-on sports bag.

You probably need some insulation for the base of a hammock and for that I bought a roll mat, of sorts, for about £1 in one of those cheap shops, which worked okay. And for tarp I used a shower curtain, again costing a pound or two.

Never did get used to sleeping in a hammock though.

DimPrawn
3rd January 2012, 13:55
Question for the experts: Which Tent ?

I'd consider any tent with at least 4000 sq feet, 5 ensuite bedrooms, central heating, cinema room, and a telephone line with takeaways on speed dial, otherwise, I'm out.

HTH BIDI

RasputinDude
3rd January 2012, 14:02
Get everybody thats going a

That's my preferred setup when it's just me. My hammock has a mozzie net sewn in too which makes it an even more enjoyable experience.

TimberWolf
3rd January 2012, 14:04
Question for the experts: Which Tent ?

I'd consider any tent with at least 4000 sq feet, 5 ensuite bedrooms, central heating, cinema room, and a telephone line with takeaways on speed dial, otherwise, I'm out.

HTH BIDI

Staying at home sweet home might be your best option then.

DimPrawn
3rd January 2012, 14:06
Staying at home sweet home might be your best option then.

Or a really nice hotel or rent a private villa, which is my preferred option for holidays.

TimberWolf
3rd January 2012, 15:44
Or a really nice hotel or rent a private villa, which is my preferred option for holidays.

You'd have to stay inside 24/7 to really enjoy that holiday luxury.

Too many times I've paid £100 just for a bed for a few hours. But no longer now that I own a £25 tent.

Paddy
3rd January 2012, 16:47
One tip for weekend camping is to buy a slow cooker and an inverter for the car. A slow cooker only uses about 80 watts. By the time you arrive and put the tent up, a hot meal is ready.

I have met couples who go camping and never cook. They are quite happy to go to restaurants, come back sloshed, kip in the tent and roll out to sunbathe on the beach.

These days there are some very good camping sites in the UK with indoor and outdoor pools, electric hook-up etc. Well worth it.

BigTime
3rd January 2012, 19:09
Bought a Vango for a couple of nights camping in the summer and was very happy with it. The weather was ok so don't know how watertight it is but it was a step above the rubbish I've bought before.

I was shocked at the amount of crap others on the site took with them. One family opposite left the day before us and had 2 cars for 2 adults and a teenager as they'd have needed a lorry for all their kit otherwise.

TiroFijo
3rd January 2012, 20:20
Ask AtW, I would imagine he puts his tent up in his bed every night... :winker:

milanbenes
4th January 2012, 07:18
TiroFijo,

you sad **** c/u/n/t is that the best you can do - to be honest, I'd edit that for fear of being associated with something that makes you look so stupid, but, you know, each to their own.

I argued at the time that that smiley would reduced the intelligence in the humour on here, and
look, evidence again.

Milan.

edited because the word search thing replaced my word with ****

Old Greg
4th January 2012, 08:23
With Blacks going to the wall, bargain hard. You definitely need a porch.

When it comes to equipment, bring a small stove, one of those stove top coffee pots, a single porcelain espresso cup and a hot water bottle. Deploy hot water bottle in your air bed and 3 duvets an hour before bed time. Bring an unpleasant local spirit and share generously with others shortly before bed time, but stick to your usual tipple. yourself. Have a wee before you go to bed.

Ignore those who witter on about. the misery of camping. They miss the point; which is that camping is about who wins the misery.

milanbenes
4th January 2012, 11:18
ok, I just ordered the....

Robens Horizon Outback 2011

fingers crossed it's a good 'un

Milan.

TimberWolf
4th January 2012, 11:21

Milan.

If you could have just held out for a couple of months, Poundland sell tents for £1. Not sure if they are (re)usable though.

AtW
4th January 2012, 11:22

Milan.

:eek

It's the last years model!

Churchill
4th January 2012, 11:22

Milan.

Are you and MF planning to reenact "Brokeback Mountain"? :sick

milanbenes
4th January 2012, 11:24
:eek

It's the last years model!

dude, I ain't no sucker dedicated follower of fashion who needs to waste their hard earned on the latest crap

:smokin

Milan.

RasputinDude
Pricey. Looks good though.

milanbenes

no no, just go away for saturday/sunday camping trips with children and mates and their children a few times during the summer months

should be fun

Milan.

Churchill
4th January 2012, 11:25

dude, I ain't no sucker
:smokin

Milan.

I'll take that as a "No". :wink

AtW
4th January 2012, 11:25

Are they trying to get Oscars? :eyes

milanbenes
4th January 2012, 11:26
I'll take that as a "No". :wink

what is brokeback mountain ?

to know it do you need to watch tv ?

Milan.

Churchill
4th January 2012, 11:27
what is brokeback mountain ?

to know it do you need to watch tv ?

Milan.

Google is your friend.

No f*cker else is
:rollin:

MarillionFan
4th January 2012, 11:34

Churchy just remember it's never too late to live your dream. You know it's all a lie.

Seven foot tall former American basketball star Lindsey Walker is set to lay claim to the title of the world's tallest transsexual | The Sun |News (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4035431/Seven-foot-tall-former-American-basketball-star-Lindsey-Walker-is-set-to-lay-claim-to-the-title-of-the-worlds-tallest-transsexual.html)

Churchill
4th January 2012, 11:37
Churchy just remember it's never too late to live your dream. You know it's all a lie.

Seven foot tall former American basketball star Lindsey Walker is set to lay claim to the title of the world's tallest transsexual | The Sun |News (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4035431/Seven-foot-tall-former-American-basketball-star-Lindsey-Walker-is-set-to-lay-claim-to-the-title-of-the-worlds-tallest-transsexual.html)

Your wife likes me just the way I am. :p

AtW
4th January 2012, 11:40
:popcorn:

Old Greg
4th January 2012, 12:34
Your wife likes me just the way I am. :p

Impotent.

MarillionFan
4th January 2012, 12:37
Impotent.

:eek: