• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

$500k US Green Card

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$500k US Green Card

CNN Money: 500k green card

Not that I am currently interested, but a few more years and the warchest just might get large enough to consider this.
    The advantages that I can think of:
    1. You, hopefully get all or some the money back, eventually, as profits.
    2. You retire on the cheap in Florida? For the price of food and fuel alone this seems almost worth it.
    3. You can now set up or have contract in Silicon Valley and the broader Bay Area.

I don't expect a lot of serious replies from you lot, but perhaps someone could chime in about the hidden costs such as Medical Insurance etc (could I get both - ie a US green card and still be reimbursed by NHS for treatments?)

As soon as you have a green card you become liable for US taxes even if you don't live there.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
      CNN Money: 500k green card

Not that I am currently interested, but a few more years and the warchest just might get large enough to consider this.
      2. You retire on the cheap in Florida? For the price of food and fuel alone this seems almost worth it.
      3. You can now set up or have contract in Silicon Valley and the broader Bay Area.

I don't expect a lot of serious replies from you lot, but perhaps someone could chime in about the hidden costs such as Medical Insurance etc (could I get both - ie a US green card and still be reimbursed by NHS for treatments?)
      My friend moved out to Florida in 95, He bought several properties in Celebration Celebration, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and started his own real estate business He thought he would spend the rest of his life living in luxury there. His business folded last year and could not afford to stay. He is now back in Europe, Germany is the only place he can make some money
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        As soon as you have a green card you become liable for US taxes even if you don't live there.
        For that reason and Americans buy record numbers of guns for Christmas - Telegraph and Obama as President, I'm totally not interested.

Comment

Originally posted by yasockie View Post

is the US contractor friendly ? from an overall money making perspective i thought that it was better to have a job over there due to healthcare costs, 401k pensions etc

i would be interested to know if this wasnt the case

Comment

Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
            is the US contractor friendly ? from an overall money making perspective i thought that it was better to have a job over there due to healthcare costs, 401k pensions etc

American companies tend to try to "reward" contractors with a permie role.

It's the healthcare that scares the hell out of me. My uncle lives in America, and when his wife was ill with cancer, he lost everything. He had insurance through work, but needed time to care for her so lost the job. Which then meant that he lost the insurance. Cleared them out completely to the point where he needed to get food stamps to be able to live.

And for that reason, I'm out.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              For that reason and Americans buy record numbers of guns for Christmas - Telegraph and Obama as President, I'm totally not interested.
              Not all presidents are like Obama. The next one might be like Bush.

Comment

UK has got the same -

"Tier 1 (Investor) Visa Requirements

You must have at least £1million at your disposal;
                You must be willing to invest £750,000 of that money in either unit trusts or private companies (not bank accounts, property developing or offshore companies);
                You may not be employed in any capacity other than managing your investment;
                You must be prepared to spend at least 50% of your time in the UK;
                You may invest the remaining £250,000 however you wish;
                You must meet the English language ability requirements (see below); AND
                You must have sufficient funds, as specified by the UK Government at the time of application."

£1 mln - 3 times more than US asks for.

Comment

Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post

I heard the same, also that the whole "set up a company" thing is less common. But I know more about freelancing than on-site contracting.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    UK has got the same -

"Tier 1 (Investor) Visa Requirements

You must have at least £1million at your disposal;
                    You must be willing to invest £750,000 of that money in either unit trusts or private companies (not bank accounts, property developing or offshore companies);
                    You may not be employed in any capacity other than managing your investment;
                    You must be prepared to spend at least 50% of your time in the UK;
                    You may invest the remaining £250,000 however you wish;
                    You must meet the English language ability requirements (see below); AND
                    You must have sufficient funds, as specified by the UK Government at the time of application."

£1 mln - 3 times more than US asks for.
                    How did you get in then?
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                    X