• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The right conviction but is it unsafe?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The right conviction but is it unsafe?

So they've finally managed to pin a murder rap on two of guys for the Stephen Lawrence murder. It would appear from what you read it is the correct verdict but is it unsafe. From watching the proceedings for some time the entire
    conviction is based on the tiny amount of DNA which to be honest I would have thought the contamination defence was quite strong. Is this up for appeal and at some
    point will we find this a 'wrongfulconviction'

Gary Dobson & David Norris convicted on Stephen Lawrence murder: Dad Neville in plea for ‘full justice’ | The Sun |News
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

The hair evidence may be a bit suspect - cross contamination could apply there.

But the blood evidence still holds up. Once the blood has dried, even if you store multiple items together for years, blood doesn't magically liquify from one garment, then re-dry on another item. It's bloody hard (every pun intended) to get dried blood out of anything.

Comment

Given that the verdict was reached by a jury that had access to all the evidence considered to be appropriate, rather than just "what you read", I would imagine there's a good chance it's a safe conviction. The powers that be couldn't afford to screw this case up (again).

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        Given that the verdict was reached by a jury that had access to all the evidence considered to be appropriate, rather than just "what you read", I would imagine there's a good chance it's a safe conviction. The powers that be couldn't afford to screw this case up (again).
        If the Daily Mail say they're innocent then thats good enough for me.

Comment

They are as guilty as sin, but what is an even bigger crime is the seemingly endless list of cock-ups perpetrated by those goons in the Met.
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            So they've finally managed to pin a murder rap on two of guys for the Stephen Lawrence murder. It would appear from what you read it is the correct verdict but is it unsafe. From watching the proceedings for some time the entire
            conviction is based on the tiny amount of DNA which to be honest I would have thought the contamination defence was quite strong. Is this up for appeal and at some
            point will we find this a 'wrongfulconviction'

Gary Dobson & David Norris convicted on Stephen Lawrence murder: Dad Neville in plea for ‘full justice’ | The Sun |News
            It was not just based on forensics but also bases on testimony and circumstantial evidence however, I agree that the forensics were a load a tosh. I think the forensic evidence should have been thrown out especially the DNA which was not a full profile.

I hope they right people were convicted, but the doubt in this case is yet another reason for not having capital punishment.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

They'll have been guilty of something.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                They'll have been guilty of something.
                Thus spake the moderator.

Comment

The good thing to come out of it is that they will (hopefully) be much more careful in future about possible cross contamination.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    The good thing to come out of it is that they will (hopefully) be much more careful in future about possible cross contamination.
                    Why?

Now they've established they can fit up anyone whenever the police force is a bit embarassed, we can expect a lot more cross-contamination.

Just tell the whole country someone did it, then suddenly find a speck of blood somewhere, easy as anything.

Comment

Working...
                    X