• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BP Vs Haliburton

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BP Vs Haliburton

Who's going to win? (apart from the lawyers)

There's approx $34 Billion in the pot to play for AFAIK. BP have also accused Haliburton of destroying evidence.

I think BP have been hard done by over this whole affair.

They didn't own or operate the rig, the oil well, the cementing, the blowout preventor - or anything.

The basically just stuck their logo on the side of the rig and took a slice of the profits.

Sure they have to take first line responsibility for that - and its only right that they clean up the mess and foot the bill. But it seems like many others tuliped up and are trying to evade their responsibilities also.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
      I think BP have been hard done by over this whole affair.

They didn't own or operate the rig, the oil well, the cementing, the blowout preventor - or anything.

The basically just stuck their logo on the side of the rig and took a slice of the profits.

Sure they have to take first line responsibility for that - and its only right that they clean up the mess and foot the bill. But it seems like many others tuliped up and are trying to evade their responsibilities also.
      Like the Jews and bankers they are useful scapegoats
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
        Like the Jews and agents they are useful scapegoats
        FTFY
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

The coverage in the US media at the time was very much it being British Petroleum's (their naming) fault. With Haliburton being a good 'ole American company doing as their customer instructed.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
            Like the Jews, bankers and agents they are useful scapegoats
            FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
              The coverage in the US media at the time was very much it being British Petroleum's (their naming) fault. With Haliburton being a good 'ole American company doing as their customer instructed.
              Agreed - it was the nasty British work, nothing to do with good hard-working American Joe's doin' their darndest to fix the mess.

Despite BP not being called British Petroleum any more. Or being British any more. Or having much to do with it all.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
                So you think it's ok to take profits but as soon as losses come around it's somebody else's fault?

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                  Who's going to win? (apart from the lawyers)

There's approx $34 Billion in the pot to play for AFAIK. BP have also accused Haliburton of destroying evidence.
                  BP signed a contract that they would be entirely responsible for consequential damage caused by any subcontractors. Instead of sitting back on his yacht, and maximising profits, the BP boss should have spent some money in overseeing the operation.

BP will lose the case.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

BP has certainly got contracts with suppliers which they can use to claim damages, but I doubt they'll be able to reclaim anywhere near $34 bln - for this sort of money the court case can last for next 10 years easily.

What suprises me is that with all that work done by 3rd parties that thing was even called BP - which part of the job BP is doing these days - financing and putting them all together? Outsourcing has reached such levels for cost cutting reasons and to allow plausible deniability to the main company. It might just not work this time.

Comment

Working...
                    X