• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Impressive WiFi coverage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Impressive WiFi coverage

At least in England: Fon - Find Fon Hotspots Worldwide

I'm tempted to ditch Virgin and go BT.

Become a 'fonero' or 'BTfonero'

Another alternative is to get involved with Spanish company Fon, which is trying to turn the world into one giant hotspot through wireless connection sharing. The idea's simple, you buy a special wireless router (£33) which splits your connection in two; one secure part for you, and one open part for other members of the Fon community, who in exchange offer you use of the open part of their own wireless networks, wherever they are in the world.

BT internet users needn't buy the Fon router at all, since BT's done a deal with the company allowing users to securely split their connections and become 'foneros' too, which gives the Fon community impressive overall coverage (see coverage maps). BT total broadband customers that sign up for the scheme now also get totally free access to BT's widespread 'OpenZone' hotspots, which usually costs up to £6/hour.
    Free Wireless Internet: UK hotspots & cheap 3G mobile web ...

You don't need to ditch Virgin, though - you just need to buy the FON router.

I thought about it a while back - I think someone near my in-laws has one that I could then plug into.

That said, the latest 2600 has some interesting information on hacking access to paid for hotspots
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I am a member of this and its not as good as it looks, a lot of the advertised coverage relies on BTFon which is not included if you share your WiFi only if you are a BT Customer
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        I am a member of this and its not as good as it looks, a lot of the advertised coverage relies on BTFon which is not included if you share your WiFi only if you are a BT Customer
        Not much fon then
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I'd be a little concerned about potential legal issues if someone downloads illegal material through my WiFi, which I think is why I didn't consider it much further.

I know the homepage says that they take the heat
          Everyone who logs on to a Fon WiFi signal must be registered with Fon and must accept Fon's usage terms and conditions. We adhere to local and national internet access requirements, so if anyone tries to do anything illegal with your internet connection, we block them.
          but how do you stop someone who is using a VPN to do something illegal? Or does FON stop you connecting to a VPN? What about TOR (I don't know how that works at all, but I've heard about it somewhere)?
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            At least in England: Fon - Find Fon Hotspots Worldwide

I'm tempted to ditch Virgin and go BT.

Just looking at my local area I can confirm that the information on coverage is a load of bollocks
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              Just looking at my local area I can confirm that the information on coverage is a load of bollocks
              Have you tried standing right outside someone's front door to get reception? Retail or larger establishments might be a better bet.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                Have you got Fon or BT broadband?

Comment

It was tulip quality last time I tried (a year ago).

Comment

Ive got FON and ive used other people's FON spots a few times, but im not a fan on public WIFI as you never really know if its a legit hotspot or some scammer running a router with the same SSID.
                    As for legal issues about someone doing something dodgy on your FON - surely its the perfect get-out clause! your WIFI is open to the public so no court in the land could ever say without reasonable doubt that it was you doing the dodgy stuff, and therefore no conviction could ever stick.. worth running a FON spot just for that reason

Comment

Working...
                    X