• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taj Mahal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taj Mahal

Was talking to somebody the other day who confirmed what I'd heard before and that is that out of all the must see things in the world, this is top of the list.

I've always wanted to go but don't have a lot of time on my hands so was wondering in how short a time it could be done. I'm guessing 2 days for flights to Delhi & back and 2days travelling up to Agra & back.

Anyone been there? Does this sound realistic? I've heard that getting seats on Indian trains can be a nightmare & there are often real long delays.

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
    Was talking to somebody the other day who confirmed what I'd heard before and that is that out of all the must see things in the world, this is top of the list.

I've always wanted to go but don't have a lot of time on my hands so was wondering in how short a time it could be done. I'm guessing 2 days for flights to Delhi & back and 2days travelling up to Agra & back.

Anyone been there? Does this sound realistic? I've heard that getting seats on Indian trains can be a nightmare & there are often real long delays.
    Watch the idiot abroad episode where he goes to the Taj Mahal, you might change your mind
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

I suppose if you are near by it might be worth popping in but I wouldn't go out of my way to visit

Taj Mahal, Indian Restaurant in Crawley, West Sussex, UK (takeaway, eat in and delivery curry restaurant)
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
        Watch the idiot abroad episode where he goes to the Taj Mahal, you might change your mind
        Yes because a self-confessed idiot has a lot to say about one of the acknowledged wonders of architecture
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          I suppose if you are near by it might be worth popping in but I wouldn't go out of my way to visit

Taj Mahal, Indian Restaurant in Crawley, West Sussex, UK (takeaway, eat in and delivery curry restaurant)
          Don't have to go that far

Taj Mahal, Indian Restaurant in Taunton

Comment

Direct flight to Delhi = around 8 hours.
            Train to Agra = 4 hours ( book tickets very much in advance )

Can be done in theory in 3 days, reach Delhi Friday evening, leave to Agra next day morning, leave Delhi the next day morning.
            Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

It truly is a wonder to behold. Visited there in 1995 with the missus and kids. We hired an Ambassador car for the day with driver. It was a 4-5 hour drive each way from Delhi, which all added to the "spectacle" and "adventure".
              What passed for a service station had some interesting asides too, namely camel rides and a snake-charmer complete with bedazzled cobra.
              Don't recall the food being up to much mind you.
              When you get to Agra you will be plagued with hooky folks trying to coax you round the local factory shops, where they make silk carpets and inlaid marble coasters etc. I seem to recall that they claimed to be getting some subsidy from the Indian government to help preserve these "ancient arts". It was a little pricey but what the heck, I don't intend ever going back.
              The Taj Mahal itself is worth seeing, but if you go in summer like we did (June), you will find that your feet fry on the scorching marble as you have to remove your shoes before entering and place them in metal boxes (presumably so they are piping hot when you later replace them on your feet!)
              It is much more impressive when you get up close as it is not simply white marble, but is inlaid with thousands of precious and semi-precious stones. Although it is difficult to discern, the 4 pillars actually lean ever so slightly away from the main building in case they should ever fall over too.
              Anyway, enough of my rambling. Go for it, you only live once.
              FWIW, the sound and light show at the Giza Pyramids was more impressive IMHO, even if they were a disappointment in daylight.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I've been - it was ace. Very hot though - early morning visit is best.

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post

Can be done in theory in 3 days
                  Excellent, will only lose 1 days invoicing Unless I get Delhi Belly.

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                  Don't recall the food being up to much mind you.
                  How much time did you spend on the Karzi?

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                  The Taj Mahal itself is worth seeing, but if you go in summer like we did (June), you will find that your feet fry on the scorching marble as you have to remove your shoes before entering and place them in metal boxes (presumably so they are piping hot when you later replace them on your feet!)
                  If I go alone I'll go in March but if I can persuade the missus to come, we'll go for a longer break in August (or whenever Olympics are on ).

Comment

How much time did you spend on the Karzi?
                    The worst thing I found in India was the air pollution, even as a smoker I was struggling!

10 days there and didn't once have anything that could be described as a loose stool and I wasn't being overly cautious about what I ate/drank.
                    However, as with all trips to the east - I was craving for a cheese sandwich by the end
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X