• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Director loan account query

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Director loan account query

Hi

I am director of my own company and the financial year run from April 2011 to April 2012. In this year I have withdrawn:

Net salary= 15000 pounds
    Net dividend = 36000 pounds

Further to this , in December 2011, I have withdrawn 20000 pounds for some urgent personal work (as directors loan account) but the money is not used and lying in my personal bank account.

I don't want to show this 20k as my earning to avoid any excess tax.

If I pay this 20k back to the company account within next few weeks ( before April 2012), will that be problem? Do we need to show this transaction when we do the company account or do we need to fill any form?

pl advise.

thanks

The loan of £20k will not be treated as personal income. It won't show as an outstanding loan either in the company accounts if you pay it back before the year end.

However, since the amount is over £5k, there will be BIK issues. The company will need to pay class 1A NIC and you will need to pay personal tax on this loan. If you pay the company interest of 4% pro rata, this removes any BIK issues.

The loan will need to be declared on your company P11D after the end of the tax year too.

On another point, it looks like you're a higher rate tax payer based on the salary and dividends you have received already, so make sure you're aware how much you need to put aside to pay to HMRC by 31 January 2013.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Agree with Craig's advice.

Although you have stated that you have no need for the money be wary of withdrawing it again as a loan as this could be seen as 'bed & breakfasting'.

This is a term used by HMRC to classify a series of loans as
      one single loan for P11d and section 455 purposes. Basically
      speaking, if you take out a loan, repay it on 30th November
      (for example) to avoid the section 455 charge then take out
      a new loan for the same amount on 1st December, HMRC
      would deem there to have been no repayment and as such
      the section 455 tax would be due.

If you wish to take a new loan out shortly after repaying one
      you should ensure it is for a different amount, a different
      purpose and leave as big a gap as possible between the
      loans.

This bed and breakfasting is again (we also advise against taking out a loan) something we
      would advise against.

Alan

Comment

Not knowing your previous situation and state of your financial affairs but.... This 20k was pure profit and not money owed to the VAT man or for CT? If it wasn't there is also a legal issue around you loaning yourself money that isn't yours.

Why did you need it urgently and then have it lying around in your bank? Can't have been that urgent.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Not knowing your previous situation and state of your financial affairs but.... This 20k was pure profit and not money owed to the VAT man or for CT? If it wasn't there is also a legal issue around you loaning yourself money that isn't yours.

Why did you need it urgently and then have it lying around in your bank? Can't have been that urgent.
          A a loan is only allowed under the Companies Act 2006,
          if there is prior shareholder approval although there is an exemption if the loan(s) does not exceed £10,000.

This £10,000 amount should not be confused with the £5,000 limit relating to the taxation of a directors loan.

Sadly, this is yet another area where different figures are used for very similar purposes, it seems purely to confuse the general public!

Comment

Originally posted by Nixon Williams View Post
            A a loan is only allowed under the Companies Act 2006,
            if there is prior shareholder approval although there is an exemption if the loan(s) does not exceed £10,000.

This £10,000 amount should not be confused with the £5,000 limit relating to the taxation of a directors loan.

Sadly, this is yet another area where different figures are used for very similar purposes, it seems purely to confuse the general public!
            You quoted my statement but not seeing the correlation? My comment was around any loan, at whatever limit must come out of profits. This is based on the number of people we get coming on here dipping in to CT and VAT money for personal use too often.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              You quoted my statement but not seeing the correlation? My comment was around any loan, at whatever limit must come out of profits. This is based on the number of people we get coming on here dipping in to CT and VAT money for personal use too often.
              A dividend MUST come from profits, but a loan does not have to - not something we would recommend, but a loan can be taken from the working capital.

Provided the director(s) are confident that they can meet the company liabilities as they fall due, then provided the loan is authorised by the shareholders, a loan can be made.

Alan

Comment

Question

That 4% interest sounds low- could I for example take a directors loan of say £40,000 and for the subsequest years pay the 4% interest until I repay it?

And if I could do the above, is it one of those grey areas where you can do it but it is a bit dodgy and could be used against you in some way or other?

Comment

Originally posted by Nixon Williams View Post
                  A dividend MUST come from profits, but a loan does not have to - not something we would recommend, but a loan can be taken from the working capital.

Provided the director(s) are confident that they can meet the company liabilities as they fall due, then provided the loan is authorised by the shareholders, a loan can be made.

Alan
                  Wow. That sounds like an open invitation for some people to shaft themselves royally. Enough people manage to do it when it is illegal let alone when it is allowable.Didn't know that. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by SneakySimon View Post
                    That 4% interest sounds low- could I for example take a directors loan of say £40,000 and for the subsequest years pay the 4% interest until I repay it?

And if I could do the above, is it one of those grey areas where you can do it but it is a bit dodgy and could be used against you in some way or other?
                    You could but the company would be liable for a tax charge of 25% if the loan was outstanding 9 months after the company's year end.

Not a recommended strategy.

Alan

Comment

Working...
                    X