• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Planning the year ahead....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planning the year ahead....

I've always been a little bit anal when it comes to planning the contracting year ahead. As much as I like to be a free spirit of capitalism I do have this rather OCD approach to meticulously planning my finances a year ahead.

I have just completed this years 'contracting calendar'. And with all plans I can only go to the end of the present contract and place a risk ratio on an extension for another 3 months.

For this I plan

1) All of the days presently guaranteed (green)
    2) All of the days most likely based on renewal(orange) with a percentage of it taking place(75%)
    3) Then I put placeholders for holidays(ie red - won't be available)
    4) Then I put blue for 'expected days - either existing contract or a new one' with another percentage (25%)
    5) Then I leave the rest unknown
    6) A summary then calculates the days and an input is left for the 'unknown days' which I can input into.

I then place my expected take home rate after expenses multiplied by 70% in the take home column.

This then inputs into a rather complex spreadsheet of bank accounts, investments, other incomes(which may have a sheet of it;s own), interest, bills, taxes, average spending, costs of holidays, pensions, savings for kids etc by month.

I then key in different numbers into 6 for the days unaccounted for, which filters through and gives me the expected positions (worst case, average, best case) at the year end.

I then update this monthly all year based on the previous month and adjust accordingly.

Of the other contractors I know well, all do something similar. What does everyone else do???
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Sounds like a lot of Lotus 123 malarkey.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Sounds like a lot of Lotus 123 malarkey.
      It comes from having a business and a sales background. Tell me you don't do a sales forecast and pipeline plan for the year and next.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        It comes from having a business and a sales background
        That's why you are always full of tulip

Comment

That's why you are always full of tulip
          "You must spread some Reputation around before calling AtW a cheeky **** again"

Comment

It comes from having a business and a sales background. Tell me you don't do a sales forecast and pipeline plan for the year and next.
            I don't. Now I feel inadequate.

Comment

"You must spread some Reputation around before calling AtW a cheeky **** again"
              What's your sales forecast for sledges this year?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                I don't. Now I feel inadequate.
                Get a cool avatar to fit in.

Comment

What's your sales forecast for sledges this year?
                  "Zero. But I have forecast £24 Million from my new 'Distributed Computing Project aimed towards building the largest search engine index on the Internet using Distributed Crawlers' company" - Minestrone.

Comment

"Zero. But I have forecast £24 Million from my new 'Distributed Computing Project aimed towards building the largest search engine index on the Internet using Distributed Crawlers' company" - Minestrone.

There is 2 and 4 in my forecast for next FY too! Also - £.

Comment

Working...
                    X