• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lawrence's killers sentence to be reviewed as being too lenient

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lawrence's killers sentence to be reviewed as being too lenient

The Attorney General is today reviewing whether the jail terms handed out to Stephen Lawrence's killers are 'unduly lenient'.
    The surprise move by Britain's top legal officer came after the trial judge suggested he would have doubled the minimum sentence of Gary Dobson and David Norris if the law had allowed.
    Stephen's mother Doreen had yesterday described the 15- and 14-year sentences as 'quite low' but acknowledged: 'The judge's hands were tied.'
    The judge was restricted by defunct legislation when he imposed the stiffest sentences allowable for offenders who were juveniles back in 1993.
    Read more: Stephen Lawrence verdict: Attorney General to review 'unduly lenient' sentences | Mail Online
    but if you compare the sentences with that of the killers of Nicholas Pearton

Seven teenagers have been given custodial sentences totalling 74 years for the killing of a 16-year-old boy in south London.

Nicholas Pearton was stabbed to death in May last year after being chased down by a gang - many of them wearing their school uniforms.
    The mob caught up with the teen as he ran out onto a road in Sydenham and stabbed him through the heart and lung in front of onlookers.
    Nicholas managed to stagger into a nearby shop, but died soon after.
    Judge Anthony Morris said the group had acted "like a pack of wild dogs chasing its prey".
    Following a trial at the Old Bailey, Dale Green and Lemar Gordon, both aged 17, and 16-year-old Joseph Appiah were found guilty of murder.
    Green - who was identified as the stabber - was ordered to be detained at Her Majesty's Pleasure for a minimum of 15 years.
    Gordon and Appiah were given minimum terms of 14 years and 12 years, respectively.
    Four others were convicted of manslaughter - 18-year-old Terell Clement was jailed for 10 years; Claude Gaha, 17, and Demar Brown, 16, were given eight years; and Edward Conteh, also 17, was given seven years.
    They would appear comparable in duration
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Ah, see what you mean.

Comment

"The judge was restricted by defunct legislation when he imposed the stiffest sentences allowable for offenders who were juveniles back in 1993."

Nicholas Pearton apears to have been murdered in May 2010.

------

I was certainly suprised to hear very lenient sentence for murders of Stephen Lawrence, however if specific law that applied at the time in 1993 restricted such sentence then it is certainly easily explainable.

Comment

Just my opinion but we seem to be moving from rule of law to lynch mobs.
        Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          "The judge was restricted by defunct legislation when he imposed the stiffest sentences allowable for offenders who were juveniles back in 1993."

------

I was certainly suprised to hear very lenient sentence for murders of Stephen Lawrence, however if specific law that applied at the time in 1993 restricted such sentence then it is certainly easily explainable.
          So you also believe the sentences were too lenient?

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
            To me it appears to be trial by media

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
              I don't think so.

It's only reasonable for good citizens to be concerned why somebody who was convicted of murder only gets 14-15 years when they evaded justice for longer than that.

WTF is it 14-15 years in the first place, if it's a life sentence for murder then it should be exactly that - life murder, unless there murderer in question does something extra ordinary like getting Nobel Peace Prize or something.

Comment

I don't think so.

It's only reasonable for good citizens to be concerned why somebody who was convicted of murder only gets 14-15 years when they evaded justice for longer than that.

WTF is it 14-15 years in the first place, if it's a life sentence for murder then it should be exactly that - life murder, unless there murderer in question does something extra ordinary like getting Nobel Peace Prize or something.
                All good sentiments and without the death sentence I agree life should mean life.

I believe these are minimum tariffs that have to be set to protect the guilty parties Human Rights bollox

Comment

------

But isn't Troll's point that Pearton's murderers got similar sentences, even under the new laws?

In which case, what are the grounds for saying Lawrence's murderers got off more lightly than they would have done if they'd committed the offence today?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                    But isn't Troll's point that Pearton's murderers got similar sentences, even under the new laws?

In which case, what are the grounds for saying Lawrence's murderers got off more lightly than they would have done if they'd committed the offence today?
                    That was the point I was attempting to make

Comment

Working...
                    X