• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can anyone see the flaw in this study?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone see the flaw in this study?

Life ends at 45... Study reveals when our mental powers start to diminish

Huge survey carried out on Whitehall civil servants shows our brains peak earlier that we think
    Last edited by Sysman; 6 January 2012, 06:31.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Yeah job for life. Time to vegetate.

You probably peak mentally around the mid 20s as with most else, but experience still counts for much. The other day there was a documentary on hunter-gatherers in Africa, where it was said the most successful hunters were men in their 40s and 50s. Seemingly even something as simple and as physically demanding as that wins by experience.

Comment

You start life with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Comment

I'm not 45 yet and I can barely remember my own name some days.

Comment

It's not the mind that peaks. Its the hunger...

In my 20's I could pull 48 hour weekend shifts without blinking because bumping my 18k ICL salary up to 28k with overtime was loads of cash and I really wanted cash...
          I was learning new products and UNIX versions on my own time and was always into the next new thing... I couldn't do that now. if someone offered me 4K in overtime I would say thanks but I don't need the extra cash.

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
            I'm not 45 yet and I can barely remember my own name some days.
            I blame google. I used to try and remember things now that the information is always to hand I don't bother trying to remember anything.

I do however remember disasters. I can never remember why you shouldn't do x but always seem able to remember that doing x is a bad idea.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              I blame google. I used to try and remember things now that the information is always to hand I don't bother trying to remember anything.
              The Homer Simpson approach-
              " Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?"
              - I know exactly what you mean!

Originally posted by eek View Post
              I do however remember disasters. I can never remember why you shouldn't do x but always seem able to remember that doing x is a bad idea.
              That's called experience and is very very valuable !
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
              X