• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Time to allow for airport security

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to allow for airport security

I'm thinking of flying from LCY rather than LHR. Heathrow is a pain, especially the time you have to allow for security: it's so variable. sometimes 5 mins, sometimes > 30 mins.

I can get to both airports for about the same time on Monday mornings, just after 8:00. Does anyone have experience of max normal processing times for London City? Or should I look at flying BA from LHR, using Terminal 5? Is it better?

Or maybe just push it close to the limit on time allowed, knowing that occasionally I'll miss a flight and have to buy a full-price ticket on the next one; but it's worth it because most of the time I'll save time.

BTW cost is a factor, I see the flights as a cost to my business, not a perk to me.
    Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Where are you going? If you're off to Paris or Brussels the train might be quicker (in total) and significantly more comfortable for your money.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I haven't been through there for three years now, so this information might be out of date, but LCY was always an absolute dream to fly through.

The airport could only take small planes (up to 50 passengers) so the check-in queue was never very long.

The queue for security was never longer than one minute, if there was a queue at all.

I did one day-trip to Edinburgh in around 2005 where I woke up late, arrived at the airport 20 minutes before take off but still managed to check-in, clear security and get to the gate in time.

In early 2008 the number of passengers going through there was putting a strain on the facilities.

Most of those passengers were business travellers taking advantage of the quicker route into the City from LCY than Heathrow. The last time I went through there was immediately after the credit-crunch meltdown and the place was empty.

Comment

Went there not so long ago and it's a breeze no long distances to walk, you're literally off the DLR into the airport and a 2 min walk to security.

At 8am and 4-6pm it is normally quite busy, but they are pretty efficient, so getting there an hour before your flight is plenty of time, if you have done the online check in.
        "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          Where are you going? If you're off to Paris or Brussels the train might be quicker (in total) and significantly more comfortable for your money.
          Absolutely. I even took the train to Cologne last year: 1 hour home to London, 2 hours on to Brussels, 2 more on to Cologne.

But this one is almost 1 hour west of Frankfurt. Maybe next year.

Gonzo, thanks. I'll give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
            Absolutely. I even took the train to Cologne last year: 1 hour home to London, 2 hours on to Brussels, 2 more on to Cologne.

But this one is almost 1 hour west of Frankfurt. Maybe next year.

I heard DB are planning to do London to Cologne in less than 3 1/2 hours and start the service in time for the Olympics; that would be a massive benefit for all of us in Euroland. Apparently they've tested it with the ICE and it all works but the frogs are protesting as they want French staff running the service through the tunnel.
            Last edited by Mich the Tester; 6 January 2012, 09:22.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
              As I said, I've not been through there for three years now, but it is a small airport and there is no distance between the entrance and the departure gates and that won't have changed.

Flights always used to be more expensive from there than Heathrow but LCY was always my first choice.

Comment

I would avoid airports if there is an alternative, dreadful places, certainly the worst part of going on holiday.
                "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                  Went there not so long ago and it's a breeze no long distances to walk, you're literally off the DLR into the airport and a 2 min walk to security.

At 8am and 4-6pm it is normally quite busy, but they are pretty efficient, so getting there an hour before your flight is plenty of time, if you have done the online check in.
                  That's what I need. I can get to LCY for 08:10, LHR for 08:16. Flights go from both at 09:20. Looks like I make the LCY flight, and don't always make the LHR flight (or at leat start getting ulcers worrying about missing it).

Comment

Was up in Scotland over New Year and flew BA from T5, very easy, very quick and very impressed. Now I don't know how it would stack up against a busy Monday morning in fairness
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                    X