• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gaar!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gaar!

anyone else hear about plans for a general anti-avoidance rule for tax on the radio this morning.
    it would effectively make loophole exploiting illegal
    Coffee's for closers

What's a loop hole?

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
      anyone else hear about plans for a general anti-avoidance rule for tax on the radio this morning.
      Would that survive in the Lords or the courts? After all, effectively it's a law saying 'you're not allowed to do some of the things the law doesn't say you're not allowed to do because in retrospect we think the law should have said you're not allowed to do them'.

One good law firm could destroy the whole thing. Sounds like a sop for the Lib Dems.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        What's a loop hole?
        It doesn't exist. It's something the law doesn't say you're not allowed to do but politicians think you shouldn't be allowed to do it.

Although some observers claim to have spotted several 'loopholes' in the parliamentary expenses regulations; file under home flipping, moat cleaning and Bang&Olufsen huge screen televisions.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
          I heard this as well - no doubt to keep the LibDems happy, it seems that they wish to reveal all in the budget, we will have to wait and see.

As has been said before, the boundaries between avoidance and evasion seem to be very blurred in the eyes of politicians.
          "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Yet another case of the Government agreeing to something without having a clue about the ramifications

Comment

I wonder if it will be applied to Vodafone as well as us?
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

There will be a loophole in the new law, which can then be exploited. The new law cannot cover loopholes in itself as the new law is a meta-law and it would need a meta-meta-law to cover loopholes in it.

This is all definitively covered in 'Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid'.

I'll see you in meta-meta-court, sonny.

Comment

Working...
                X