PDA

View Full Version : The Iron Lady

sbakoola
8th January 2012, 16:15
following on from the debate on here related to whether or not Thatcher should get a state funeral... I caught THE IRON LADY at the cinema this weekend and it was a rather good drama, Meryl Streep's chameleon like portrayal of her throughout her life was amazingly good just as I remembered her on TV etc. The younger actors showing Dennis and herself during the 1940s and early 50s were not at the Jim Broadbent and Streep level but they did well enough.

There were omissions though, her fights with Neil Kinnock in parliment for example and her life as an MEP were totally left out. Some say that there was a cruel attempt to debase her as much emphasis was placed on her dementia (and having an imaginary Dennis Thatcher as the fool in King Lear appear often). Although the movie is full of conjecture and I'm not entirely convinced about accuracy ... e.g. Thatcher running out of the Westminster carpark seconds after the Northern Irish Minister had himself blown up in his own car outside ... I still think that this movie is worth catching for reasons of nostalgia. I still smirk at Micheal Helsentine being acted by Richard E Grant in that movie I cannot get the Withnail and I film out of my head.

AtW
8th January 2012, 16:30
Did they cover the milk snatching and explusion of around 80 Soviet spies?

KimberleyChris
8th January 2012, 16:30
Hmmm...

I'd like to see it, I'm told it's very good, but I think I'll wait for the DVD, cos I'll need a few stiff ones before I press play :-)

Surely they consulted Mrs Thatcher during writing? So why all the 'omissions'?

I know that she is very old now, has had several strokes, and I don't suppose she has really enjoyed life much since Dennis died, but I presume she still has all her marbles??

I've never heard much about her becoming senile...

TimberWolf
8th January 2012, 17:15
Saw the odd clip and in those was impressed by Streep's Thatcherisms (expressions and mannerisms).

Bagpuss
8th January 2012, 17:34
There were omissions though, her fights with Neil Kinnock in parliment for example and her life as an MEP were totally left out.

I wonder why? :eyes

KimberleyChris
8th January 2012, 17:52
Just dug out the extended trailers on U-Tube. Yes it looks very good.

Meryll Streep must have had a hard time there. It must be easy to play a person who everybody loved, or one that everybody hated. To play a person who provoked strong devotion and hatred in equal measure must be very hard.

I think I agree with Cameron that it would have been better to leave it till later though. Dead people can't sue if you portray them 'warts and all'.

Anyway, I'm off before 'our friend' hijacks this thread too with more of his inane right-wing blathering. Toodle-Pip...

wim121
8th January 2012, 18:38
Did they cover the milk snatching
There is a bit at the start of the film with someone trying to buy milk. A few subtle bits like that throughout to keep you dirty liberals happy as you wish someone dead from your armchairs.

wim121
8th January 2012, 18:41
Hmmm...

Surely they consulted Mrs Thatcher during writing? So why all the 'omissions'?

No they didnt.

They did present her and her team with the final draft and they "didnt much care for it at all" ...

You have to omit some things, think how confusing it would be to cover two decades of history and all the issues in society at that time ...

sbakoola
8th January 2012, 22:05

the milk snatching was only implied in the first few frames.

sbakoola
8th January 2012, 22:07
I wonder why? :eyes

doh she wasn't an MEP, I heard she wanted to be though.

stek
8th January 2012, 22:28
Does it show the bit where at the Cabinet Xmas Meal she says "I'll have the Turkey" and the waiter asks "And what about the vegetables?" and she says "They'll have the same as me!"

Hard to think that that actually happened...

sbakoola
9th January 2012, 08:51
Does it show the bit where at the Cabinet Xmas Meal she says "I'll have the Turkey" and the waiter asks "And what about the vegetables?" and she says "They'll have the same as me!"

no they didn't it was not politically correct.

It has John Sessions as Edward Heath and Andrew Heath as Geoffrey Howe (the bloke from those 1980s Kenko coffee couple ads and the priest Buffy The Vampire Slayer)

Richard E Grant as Micheal Heseltine !

psychocandy
9th January 2012, 10:40

Or the way she single-handedly destroyed the livelihoods of thousands in the coal mining communities of south wales, nottinghamshire, etc.

DodgyAgent
9th January 2012, 11:09
Or the way she single-handedly destroyed the livelihoods of thousands in the coal mining communities of south wales, nottinghamshire, etc.

These were destroyed by the trade unions and labour long before she came to power

stek
9th January 2012, 11:17
These were destroyed by the trade unions and labour long before she came to power

What about the bit where she ws on her way out after only about three years in power and some tinpot Junta invades some bit of Britain no-one cared about so she slaughtered 1000 people to stay in power?

That bit in?

sbakoola
9th January 2012, 11:42
What about the bit where she ws on her way out after only about three years in power and some tinpot Junta invades some bit of Britain no-one cared about so she slaughtered 1000 people to stay in power?

That bit in?

yes and she wrote to every dead British soldier's family.

stek
9th January 2012, 11:51
yes and she wrote to every dead British soldier's family.

That must have been of great comfort to the families, knowing their sons died for no reason. Did she write to the Argies ones too?

Incognito
9th January 2012, 11:51

That bit in?

slaughter
noun

[S or U] the killing of many people cruelly and unfairly, especially in a war
Hardly anyone in the town escaped the slaughter when the rebels were defeated

I'm sorry, what part of the Falklands Conflict would you define as 'cruelly and unfairly'. Were we meant to throw rocks at them to get them to go home?

DodgyAgent
9th January 2012, 12:26
That must have been of great comfort to the families, knowing their sons died for no reason. Did she write to the Argies ones too?

Whilst we are at it i think Winston Churchill should have written to all the German soldiers killed in WW2 :laugh

The_Equalizer
9th January 2012, 12:27

That came from in Spitting Image:

margaret thatcher vs john major - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyU8qmzGsEg)

wim121
9th January 2012, 15:43

Exactly dodgy, not to be rude to candy, but that is the kind of moronic and unfounded comment that all lefties spew like filth. It couldnt be further from the truth.

Candy, you couldnt be more wrong. Look at this graph supplied by the BBC.
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45581000/gif/_45581766_uk_mining_11year466.gif

Mining output under maggie was at it's highest, than any other era around her time.

For example, another things morons blame her for is the national grid state. yet they fail to remember that they were striking from 1970, almost a decade before she got in power.

It is another classic case of labour screwed up the country, so the conservatives had to roll their sleeves up and make harsh decisions to deal with the economic climate.

She also did a lot of good. She gave council tenants the right to buy just for one example.

Now we have a wet co-alition, not one politician with the balls dear maggie had .....