• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Iron Lady

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Iron Lady

following on from the debate on here related to whether or not Thatcher should get a state funeral... I caught THE IRON LADY at the cinema this weekend and it was a rather good drama, Meryl Streep's chameleon like portrayal of her throughout her life was amazingly good just as I remembered her on TV etc. The younger actors showing Dennis and herself during the 1940s and early 50s were not at the Jim Broadbent and Streep level but they did well enough.

There were omissions though, her fights with Neil Kinnock in parliment for example and her life as an MEP were totally left out. Some say that there was a cruel attempt to debase her as much emphasis was placed on her dementia (and having an imaginary Dennis Thatcher as the fool in King Lear appear often). Although the movie is full of conjecture and I'm not entirely convinced about accuracy ... e.g. Thatcher running out of the Westminster carpark seconds after the Northern Irish Minister had himself blown up in his own car outside ... I still think that this movie is worth catching for reasons of nostalgia. I still smirk at Micheal Helsentine being acted by Richard E Grant in that movie I cannot get the Withnail and I film out of my head.

Did they cover the milk snatching and explusion of around 80 Soviet spies?

Comment

Hmmm...

I'd like to see it, I'm told it's very good, but I think I'll wait for the DVD, cos I'll need a few stiff ones before I press play :-)

Surely they consulted Mrs Thatcher during writing? So why all the 'omissions'?

I know that she is very old now, has had several strokes, and I don't suppose she has really enjoyed life much since Dennis died, but I presume she still has all her marbles??

I've never heard much about her becoming senile...

Comment

Saw the odd clip and in those was impressed by Streep's Thatcherisms (expressions and mannerisms).

Comment

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post

There were omissions though, her fights with Neil Kinnock in parliment for example and her life as an MEP were totally left out.
          I wonder why?
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Just dug out the extended trailers on U-Tube. Yes it looks very good.

Meryll Streep must have had a hard time there. It must be easy to play a person who everybody loved, or one that everybody hated. To play a person who provoked strong devotion and hatred in equal measure must be very hard.

I think I agree with Cameron that it would have been better to leave it till later though. Dead people can't sue if you portray them 'warts and all'.

Anyway, I'm off before 'our friend' hijacks this thread too with more of his inane right-wing blathering. Toodle-Pip...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Did they cover the milk snatching
              There is a bit at the start of the film with someone trying to buy milk. A few subtle bits like that throughout to keep you dirty liberals happy as you wish someone dead from your armchairs.

Comment

Originally posted by KimberleyChris View Post
                Hmmm...

Surely they consulted Mrs Thatcher during writing? So why all the 'omissions'?
                No they didnt.

They did present her and her team with the final draft and they "didnt much care for it at all" ...

You have to omit some things, think how confusing it would be to cover two decades of history and all the issues in society at that time ...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  Did they cover the milk snatching and explusion of around 80 Soviet spies?
                  the milk snatching was only implied in the first few frames.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                    I wonder why?
                    doh she wasn't an MEP, I heard she wanted to be though.

Comment

Working...
                    X