• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why are middle management so incompetent at holiday and diary management??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last edited by Wilmslow; 15 February 2012, 19:34.

Tough sh!t.

Could be worse, I could be your manager.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
      Just wondering after an unbelieveable experience of it.......
      Because if there were even half way competent they'd be senior management. It's probably cheaper to leave them where they can do minimal harm to the business, than to make them redundant.
      The vegetarian option.

Comment

It's not that their incompetent with holidays and diaries, it's just that as such things are the only thing that have any control over, they use their power to make their minions' lives miserable.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Middle managers, sorry, muddle managers aren't there to manage anything; they are there to give you the blame when they fail to manage things.

Learn it, accept it and send an invoice. Oh sorry, forgot you're permie there.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
            Because if there were even half way competent they'd be senior management. It's probably cheaper to leave them where they can do minimal harm to the business, than to make them redundant.
            Or they could be there due to the peter principle
            Last edited by Spacecadet; 9 January 2012, 12:04.
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
              I'd not heard of that. It makes a lot of sense.
              The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                Thanks for linky. Interesting what it says about contractors. I am currently working alongside permies. who are 3 NHS grades lower than I would be if still a permie. The grading of the job is in practice (but not in theory) based on position in the management structure rather than skills required, so if the job needs doing properly it needs a contractor.

Comment

Why are middle management so incompetent at holiday and diary management
                  At one client co, a long term permie was upgraded to management. It ended up with three IT managers, the company rulles were that there must always be management on duty. This broke down at school half term when all managers took the same time off.

Unsurprisingly I have been with firms that run much more efficiently when they get rid of managers. Management in the UK, managers tend to be turned into administrative assistants rather than real managers.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    Thanks for linky. Interesting what it says about contractors. I am currently working alongside permies. who are 3 NHS grades lower than I would be if still a permie. The grading of the job is in practice (but not in theory) based on position in the management structure rather than skills required, so if the job needs doing properly it needs a contractor.
                    I think we can be fairly certain that the sentence on contractors was added by someone here.
                    "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Working...
                    X