• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

“Catch all” law to stop tax avoidance could be introduced in spring.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“Catch all” law to stop tax avoidance could be introduced in spring.

Source: Downing Street: broadest shoulders must carry tax burden - Telegraph

Just another tax that will eventually become part of the norm? I actually don't mind it - better to have a 50% "very high" bracket than increase the higher rate threshold which has happened in the past.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

What does this mean for loan schemes?

If you have an outstanding loan would that be taxed?
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        If you have an outstanding loan would that be taxed?
        Good ideas - treating any loans other than single mortgage as income and taxing it accordingly should help deal with problem of getting in debt nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          I actually don't mind it - better to have a 50% "very high" bracket than increase the higher rate threshold which has happened in the past.
          If you were 50% taxpayer (over 60% if amounts just over £100k due to personal allowance robbery) you'd think differently!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Good ideas - treating any loans other than single mortgage as income and taxing it accordingly should help deal with problem of getting in debt nicely.
            Obviously loans from a tax avoidance scheme. Interest free loans that don't get paid back, or loans that have no purpose other than to avoid tax. i.e. loans to you from a trust with which you're a beneficiary for example.

In fact I suspect it'll be more general than that, using terms such as "artificial" or "for the purpose of avoiding tax" and leave it to the judge's discretion.

So for example you get a loan from a bank to buy a car, and you pay it back with interest, it's clear that there is a business purpose in this transaction. But you get an interest free loan that you never pay back from a trust, and the trust is there to act in your best interests. It's pretty clear that this is for the purpose of avoiding tax.
            Last edited by BlasterBates; 9 January 2012, 17:00.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

So if SKA decided to lease some extra servers for a year to provide extra grunt you'd be quite happy having to pay interest on the loaned amount as well as paying income tax on the loaned amount?

Again if you decide you're going to buy a new couch on HP, you'd be happy at paying interest and income tax on such?

It's easy to say just do this to fix the problem when doing this has such a snowball effect on other normal things.
              "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
                So if SKA decided to lease some extra servers for a year to provide extra grunt you'd be quite happy having to pay interest on the loaned amount as well as paying income tax on the loaned amount?
                Whoever leases does not get in debt (I rent a flat but I don't have mortgage obligations), the object of lease is owned by some company.

I was referring to personal loans anyway.

By the way at the moment when SKA Inc buys servers up front we still have to pay corp tax on the amounts spend over annual investment allowance (it gets cut 4 times next FY).

Comment

If you were 50% taxpayer [crud removed] you'd think differently!
                  No, disliking paying more doesn't mean you disapprove of the system. I'd rather I didn't have to pay any tax... but this is the real world.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

They will never get it to stick
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                    X