• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Barclays stopping umbrellas?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barclays stopping umbrellas?

Hi - about to sign on at Barclays and I get an message from the supplier I am going through stating that from 6 January 2012 that Barclays PLC will no longer sign on interim workers via umbrella companies. Has anyone heard this case and is anyone affected by it?
    Thanks -

Probably someone at Barclays misunderstanding AWR.

But anyway it sounds like it's a good time for you to run a Ltd company and manage your own money.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Probably someone at Barclays misunderstanding AWR.

But anyway it sounds like it's a good time for you to run a Ltd company and manage your own money.
      Not everyone can, if they're foreign or undischarged bankrupts for example.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        Oh Dear.

Those souls are stuffed then, aren't they?
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Foreigners can own/run Ltds without problems.

Comment

Not like an undischarged bankrupt would pass financial screening anyway

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              Oh Dear.

Those souls are stuffed then, aren't they?
              WSH

That's all the Aussies and Saffers out of a contract then.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Foreigners can own/run Ltds without problems.
                I know one saffer who was an illegal in the UK for ten years.

He couldn't be an employee of anyone else's but had no problems operating a limited company.

Comment

Originally posted by topperharley View Post
                  Hi - about to sign on at Barclays and I get an message from the supplier I am going through stating that from 6 January 2012 that Barclays PLC will no longer sign on interim workers via umbrella companies. Has anyone heard this case and is anyone affected by it?
                  Thanks -
                  Definitely a case of Barclays not understanding AWR; if they force people to incorporate and also, by default, operate outside IR35 in order to try and avoid AWR they are on a hiding to nothing and are a huge target for our friends at HMR&C to slap with penalties for avoidance; and who knows, they may even resurrect debt transfer. At the end of the day it's pretty much inside IR35, in scope of AWR end of.
                  Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
                  X