PDA

View Full Version : Barclays stopping umbrellas?

topperharley
9th January 2012, 17:08
Hi - about to sign on at Barclays and I get an message from the supplier I am going through stating that from 6 January 2012 that Barclays PLC will no longer sign on interim workers via umbrella companies. Has anyone heard this case and is anyone affected by it?
Thanks -

cojak
9th January 2012, 18:01
Probably someone at Barclays misunderstanding AWR.

But anyway it sounds like it's a good time for you to run a Ltd company and manage your own money.

OwlHoot
9th January 2012, 18:05
Probably someone at Barclays misunderstanding AWR.

But anyway it sounds like it's a good time for you to run a Ltd company and manage your own money.

Not everyone can, if they're foreign or undischarged bankrupts for example.

cojak
9th January 2012, 18:07

Oh Dear.

Those souls are stuffed then, aren't they?

AtW
9th January 2012, 18:09

Foreigners can own/run Ltds without problems.

centurian
9th January 2012, 18:23

Not like an undischarged bankrupt would pass financial screening anyway

MarillionFan
9th January 2012, 18:29
Oh Dear.

Those souls are stuffed then, aren't they?

WSH

That's all the Aussies and Saffers out of a contract then.

Gonzo
10th January 2012, 09:32
Foreigners can own/run Ltds without problems.I know one saffer who was an illegal in the UK for ten years.

He couldn't be an employee of anyone else's but had no problems operating a limited company.

LisaContractorUmbrella
10th January 2012, 09:37
Hi - about to sign on at Barclays and I get an message from the supplier I am going through stating that from 6 January 2012 that Barclays PLC will no longer sign on interim workers via umbrella companies. Has anyone heard this case and is anyone affected by it?
Thanks -

Definitely a case of Barclays not understanding AWR; if they force people to incorporate and also, by default, operate outside IR35 in order to try and avoid AWR they are on a hiding to nothing and are a huge target for our friends at HMR&C to slap with penalties for avoidance; and who knows, they may even resurrect debt transfer. At the end of the day it's pretty much inside IR35, in scope of AWR end of.