• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting my VAT sums right

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting my VAT sums right

Hi All,

I got a letter from HMRC around xmas, but somehow misplaced it but I can remember what it said, It did state that for the period ending 31st Oct 2011 they reckon my VAT bill should be £428 or so, however I have collected around £5,000 for the 3 months leading up till 31st Oct 2011. I am using the flar rate scheme and work in IT, I understand its 13.5 or so. Can I please doublecheck that the amount due would be 5k * 13.5 I heard someone say I get a discount in the first year, I'm a newbie contractor.

Thanks in advance.

It's usually based on what you invoice, not what you collect. So £5,000 x 13.5% = £675. That's assuming the £5,000 is your gross invoice value and you're a 14.5% category.

If you've got a bill from HMRC, and it's yellow, it's more likely that you've not filed a return and this is HMRC issuing a determination (a guess) on what they think you owe. That's why you can't reconcile it with your records.

Did you file a return and pay the VAT owed (by the due date)?
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Would now not be a good time to get an accountant then?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by platforminc View Post
        Hi All,

I got a letter from HMRC around xmas, but somehow misplaced it but I can remember what it said, It did state that for the period ending 31st Oct 2011 they reckon my VAT bill should be £428 or so, however I have collected around £5,000 for the 3 months leading up till 31st Oct 2011. I am using the flar rate scheme and work in IT, I understand its 13.5 or so. Can I please doublecheck that the amount due would be 5k * 13.5 I heard someone say I get a discount in the first year, I'm a newbie contractor.

Thanks in advance.
        Read what Clare said.

Register to do this stuff online.

Give HMRC a call and get some advice?

Comment

Working...
        X