• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self assessment return query

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self assessment return query

Hi,
    This is my first year contracting and have my first self assessment to complete by 31st January....apparently.

I didn't think I needed to complete a return this year as my ltd company did not start Trading or invoicing until the end of April 2011. The company however was registered on 29th March putting it in the 2010/11 tax year. Do I need to complete a nil return for this or can I get away with not doing one?

Thanks in advance

Nev

Try here:

HM Revenue & Customs: Do you need to complete a tax return?

I think it depends on what income you had in 2010/11 - if any was untaxed then you will need to complete a return
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Just did mine this evening, also noticed I did it slightly wrong (in my favour) last year, what are the chances being caught??
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I was doing mine this evening too but found out they don't have enough space for end of year profits.

DimPrawn

Comment

If you haven't been asked to complete one AND no tax is due then you don't need to complete one. Guidance on HMRC site is not correct. (Too late to register now anyway!)

Tax returns for directors | AccountingWEB
          Self-assessment | AccountingWEB
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Goddard View Post
            The company however was registered on 29th March putting it in the 2010/11 tax year. Do I need to complete a nil return for this or can I get away with not doing one?
            Yes, as a company director you need to file a self assessment return regardless of whether you received any benefit. Although as discussed here recently you shouldn't need to complete the employment section for your company. Bit of a nonsense really if that's the only reason you needed to file a return but it's the way it is.

Edit: ack, sorry... should have read the full thread properly. Interesting info xoggoth.

In my case HMRC sent a Notice to file a SA return shortly after I registered for PAYE and submitted my P46, well after company startup. The notice was retrospective for the year which should already have been submitted and given 3 months to file from the date of the notice.
            Last edited by Contreras; 10 January 2012, 00:57.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the info all.

Just managed to get through to HMRC after 2 days of trying and they confirmed that it is the date you were registered as a Director that counts, not when the company was formed. Luckily this was within this tax year so happy days.

Nev

Comment

Working...
              X