• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IDL / GMT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IDL / GMT

Can someone please explain this to me?

When you cross the international Date Line you add 24 hours crossing west and subtract 24 hours going East.

I was under the deluded impression that GMT determined time across the globe?

Never felt so dumb !

Originally posted by DAG View Post

When you cross the international Date Line you add 24 hours crossing west and subtract 24 hours going East.

Never felt so dumb !
    When you cross the dateline you go from GMT-12 hours to GMT+12 hours or vice versa. 12 + 12 = 24.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      When you cross the dateline you go from GMT-12 hours to GMT+12 hours or vice versa. 12 + 12 = 24.
      ahhhhh, it's that simple then !

Cheers

Must have been having a brain fart - couldn't compute !

Comment

Never felt so dumb !
        I take it you didn't make a fortune out of Y2K then?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
          I take it you didn't make a fortune out of Y2K then?
          Nope, I was a dumb permie then rather than a dumb contractor

Comment

Never felt so dumb !
            GMT or UTC remains the same no matter where you are and regardless of the number of times you cross the date line. Only local time changes.

GMT/UTC is used on the International Space Station and they cross the date line several times a day.

Are you a girl?
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

GMT or UTC remains the same no matter where you are and regardless of the number of times you cross the date line. Only local time changes.

GMT/UTC is used on the International Space Station and they cross the date line several times a day.

Are you a girl?
              I don't think you know what you're talking about.

Thanks for your response though

No, I'm not a girl, why do you ask?

Comment

I don't think you know what you're talking about.

Thanks for your response though

No, I'm not a girl, why do you ask?

My answer is correct, but we can put is this way.

GMT is the time at the Greenwich Meridian. If it is 10am GMT in Greenwich, it is also 10am GMT on the same fuc3ing day in New York, Japan or on the dateline. It does not matter. It is the standard time throughout the world and even in outer space. The day only changes if you use local time when crossing the dateline.

If you are flying in an aircraft across the dateline you will be told to change the date and time of your Mickey Mouse watch. The flight crew will still be using GMT (UTC) and they will ignore the time zones for their calculations.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                X