• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working / living in Dubai

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working / living in Dubai

Anyone done it? Enticing offer on the phone just then...
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Read http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion...i-1664368.html

and then decide.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

A couple we know well have been out there 18 months or so with their 2 very young kids (2yrs and 4 months). We've been out to visit for a couple of weeks.

I would personally consider it if you don't require to be surrounded by friends. If you contracted away from home before for instance. Also, if you can cope with restaurants not serving alcohol generally, and you can cope with it being VERY hot in the summer.

However I don't know how the legal side with visas, booze allowance (you need a special card to buy booze from a special shop), etc, works for contractors rather than employees.

You will need a car, and you need to check how accommodation is going to work.

Personally, we liked it and I wouldn't mind being there a year, but it's no place to set up home.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        An article from nearly 3 years ago is about as useful as bog roll.

Building projects have restarted thanks to various bail-outs.

If you do end up going over to Dubai to work then be prepared to pay for your yearly accomodation in one lump sum and ensure that you keep your finances in order with sufficient war chest until you start getting a regular income.

In the short term it will cost you money to work there.

Comment

Krauts figured you out then?
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
            If you do end up going over to Dubai to work then be prepared to pay for your yearly accommodation in one lump sum and ensure that you keep your finances in order with sufficient war chest until you start getting a regular income.
            The company has offered to pay the accommodation up front and deduct from the monthly income.

Both the wife and I are trying to dis it cause we're apprehensive about such places. This is despite the fact we're both avid travellers. Still even after coughing up for the accommodation you're still left with a 5 figured sum. Difficult to ignore.

If it's going to be a goer our prerequisites, pool, garden for the wee yin, gym...

Places like this one or this one are affordable
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I have 2 mates who live / work in the region. 1 has been in Bahrain for 20+years 1 in Dubai for 3-4 years.

The upsides....

The weather in late Autumn/ winter / early spring
              The cost of cars / fuel
              Rental prices for digs are can be cheap - as there is a surpluss at the moment
              the apparent tax free situation
              plenty of water sport / dunebashing
              great food / service

The downsides
              The weather in Late spring / summer / Early Autumn
              School costs are high
              booze is expensive
              you usually have to pay for your property rent 1 years in advance in post dated cheques

It is only a 7 hour flight, and costs arounf £400 so your family / friends can come & visit.

Remember there are very strict rules surround women / sex.
              BBC NEWS | UK | Woman arrested for 'sex on beach'
              BBC News - Woman jailed for kissing in Dubai calls for law reform

When my g/f 7 I check into hotel we do so as Mr & Mrs......it save hassle

The dress code is very conservative
              The business approach is very slow....

I would suggest going out for a weeks recce, get a hire car and drie round the places...

There is a lot of info here:

Living in Dubai: An Introduction

I looked at moig to Bahrain a number of years ago, in the current climate I am glad i didnt...

Hope that helps
              Last edited by aceboy; 10 January 2012, 13:47.

Comment

Its your sprog I feel sorry for.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

If you're into travelling then definitely, give it a go. You need to be aware that you might get lonely, that's probably the biggest warning I'd give... if that's not an issue then go for it. What will the missus do with her time?

There are lots of custom built mini-towns for foreigners like you, such as where our friends live: MotorCity :: Experience It.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    Its your sprog I feel sorry for.
                    Helpful as usual....

How many posts before we get a cretin or village idiots comment?

Comment

Working...
                    X