• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How reliable is Virgin Trains Wifi?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How reliable is Virgin Trains Wifi?

I was hoping to VPN while on the way to an interview (Stockport-Euston) tomorrow so I could bill for the day as well as being able to go for the interview. Anybody tried the wifi on there? Is it reliable?

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    I was hoping to VPN while on the way to an interview (Stockport-Euston) tomorrow so I could bill for the day as well as being able to go for the interview. Anybody tried the wifi on there? Is it reliable?
    Not sure, but you could always tether your phone ?

Comment

About as reliable as their timetable.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Wifi is reliable but not the fastest. It also depends on your VPN. My current client's VPN insists on updating itself when you connect on VPN, and that can be damn slow on the train. Once it connects, howver, its fine for small files and email.
        World's Best Martini

Comment

Originally posted by DAG View Post
          Not sure, but you could always tether your phone ?
          problem with that is that due to cuttings and tunnels phone reception on trains can be bad
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by v8gaz View Post
            Wifi is reliable but not the fastest. It also depends on your VPN. My current client's VPN insists on updating itself when you connect on VPN, and that can be damn slow on the train. Once it connects, howver, its fine for small files and email.
            what about the odd sql query?

Comment

Gotta give you points for effort in continuing to invoice!
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                problem with that is that due to cuttings and tunnels phone reception on trains can be bad
                Yeah, good point

Never tried either to be fair, but I did tether as a passenger in a car with limited success

Comment

Assuming that you are on a *nix box, then you could run the query on the server and automatically spool the output, so that when the session dies (which is likely), the query still continues to run in the background.

I wouldn't want to be running SQL*Plus or SQL*Developer via their wifi, to be honest.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

NOHUP?

Comment

Working...
                    X