• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Afternoon tea in London?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Afternoon tea in London?

It seems The Ritz is already booked up for 2 months ahead, when we'll be in London for our anniversary. Are there any other swanky places we could go, that are worth the money?

Probably going to try and fit in one posh lunch/dinner too... went to 15 last time and would quite like to try Heston's new place, but there must be dozens of great places with Michelin stars and the like... recommendations for posh English/Indian places welcome.
    What's The Ivy like... pretentious or worth it?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    It seems The Ritz is already booked up for 2 months ahead, when we'll be in London for our anniversary. Are there any other swanky places we could go, that are worth the money?

Probably going to try and fit in one posh lunch/dinner too... went to 15 last time and would quite like to try Heston's new place, but there must be dozens of great places with Michelin stars and the like... recommendations for posh English/Indian places welcome.
    I would go for afternoon tea or dinner but not both. How about lunch on the Thames?
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Diana's Diner - their fried bread is awesome. It's not called an all-day breakfast for nothing, you know

EDIT: Good review on Russell Davies's egg, bacon, chips and beans blog:

Last edited by NickFitz; 10 January 2012, 11:46.

Comment

Cinnamon Club is nice. Heard good things about the Michelin starred one in Mayfair too but not been there.
        Last edited by BigTime; 10 January 2012, 11:50.

Comment

The Langham has won best afternoon tea awards.

Benares has had high acclaim for Indian food ( Atul Kochar, 1 michelin star)

I use this website as a guide.

Avoid Galvin at windows, carp food and service.
          The ivy is ok if you like comfort food and star spotting.

Hestons new spot you will find it booked up the wazoo for the next few months.

Try Pollen St social, Kensington place, Clarke and St John ( if you like nose to tail eating). Le Gavroche does a good deal for lunch - 4 courses half btl wine and water with coffee and petits fours. Tom Aikens is good but he may have closed his restaurant

If you like steak the following restaurants are good, La relais de venise, Gaucho and the best steak can be found at the Hawksmoor.

Also good are 28- 50 ( fetter lane), Pearl ( Jun Tanaka) and Soseki ( St Mary Axe, best sushi outside of Japan, great tasting menu and sake menu).
          Last edited by norrahe; 10 January 2012, 11:55. Reason: I remembered some more places
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            I would go for afternoon tea or dinner but not both. How about lunch on the Thames?
            I wasn't thinking on the same day
            The river is an idea but any recommendations? I don't want to fall into some awful tourist barge

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Diana's Diner - their fried bread is awesome. It's not called an all-day breakfast for nothing, you know
            Ooh, tempting. We're borrowing a flat so do need breakfast - it's on St. Katharine's Dock and there is a cheap caff there too, but Covent Garden isn't far away by tube IIRC.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

When Professional Masterchef was on a few weeks ago, I looked at Michel Roux Jr's place Le Gavroche, any one recommend this?

qh
              He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Mr. Fitz, a man after my own heart. I will have to go there when I am next in the smoke.

Comment

I used to go to the Regency Cafe (linky) for lunch when I was in that area.

Be amazed at the vocal projection skills of the counter staff.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Try the wolseley next door to the Ritz

The Wolseley - Café restaurant in the grand European tradition - Piccadilly, Mayfair, London
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                    X