• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Technet Subscription - 25% off all Microsoft Store products!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Technet Subscription - 25% off all Microsoft Store products!

Just bought a Technet Standard subscription so I can mess around with a few virtual machines using Windows Server / SQL Server etc that is included in the subscription.

Found a 25% discount code for the Microsoft Store, so only paid £100.21 + vat (which I can reclaim ).

Technet includes all the following (now also including Office 2010) and will include any new products released during the subscription (e.g. SQL Server 2012):

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...duct_List.xlsx

Bargain.

The code below is supposed to work with any product you can buy via the Microsoft store and expires on 10th Febuary 2012.

Discount code: myms25saving

Fill yer boots.
    Last edited by PAH; 10 January 2012, 16:09.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Discount code billgates gives 90% off...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Discount code billgates gives 90% off...

Now you tell us.

A word of warning when using these discount codes. The site is effing slow, so worth making a cuppa while it works out what to do.

Unless it doesn't like non-IE browsers like what I'm using.
      Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

I'm sure it's been asked before, but.....

What's to stop me paying £100 for the membership, then downloading Windows 7 and Office and whacking them on a VM (or more than one)?

If the membership runs out, does the software stop working?
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          I'm sure it's been asked before, but.....

What's to stop me paying £100 for the membership, then downloading Windows 7 and Office and whacking them on a VM (or more than one)?

If the membership runs out, does the software stop working?
          It's not time limited and there isn't a time bomb built into the software you download off Technet.

However there is nothing stopping MS from blocking the activation later on though if you don't keep up the subscription. IIRC they did block a load of keys last year when they mistakenly opened up Technet subscriptions for free.
          Last edited by redgiant; 10 January 2012, 16:27.

Comment

The recommended method is to request all the keys and download the ISO images (unless you pay extra for the physical media version) ASAP even if you don't think you'll need them.

There is then no time restriction on those keys. You can still activate after the subscription has expired.

Apparently renewing each year gives access to a new set of keys, so worth spreadsheeting them by year to keep track of what you have and what you've used.

The only limit I know of is that you only get one or two keys per product with the Standard edition, and up to 10 keys with the Professional edition (you have to request the keys as needed).

Though each key can be activated multiple times to allow for re-installation over and over as these Technet subs are intended for testing purposes.

Anyhow I think Technet is the best way of getting hold of the full version software. No hoops to jump through like with the Action Pack, and significantly cheaper than the MSDN subscription.

Only thing missing is the full version of Visual Studio, which you can get with the other options last time I checked.
            Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Ta.

Current client keeps sending me stuff in Office 2010 and Vision 2010, which I don't have. Also, my current VMs are running XP and I suppose I should think about upgrading to a new version. I don't tend to use them much, though, so this might be a good way to get the stuff.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

if you get yourself an .ac.uk email address you get it all for free anyway

https://www.dreamspark.com/
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

On ActionPack the licenses didn't run out, but the AP t&cs said if you ended membership you weren't allowed to use them... I imagine this is the same so you would technically be a big fat pirate.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    my current VMs are running XP and I suppose I should think about upgrading to a new version.

I have a few VMs using XP and intend keeping them that way as they only take up a few GB drive space each.

Doubt the footprint of Windows 7 or Server 2008 would be quite that small.
                    Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Working...
                    X