• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Olympics - anyone else...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Olympics - anyone else...

...sick and tired of it already?

Everytime I put the news on they show the clock counting down the days to the start along with some dull story about some bizarre minority sport.

It's like Chinese water torture.

After the build up will be the event itself followed by the Paralympics (with which the BBC will saturate their output) and then all the self congratulatory retrospective stuff afterwards.

I know this sounds churlish and I'm sure a lot of people will get pleasure from it. If it were the world cup we were hosting, I'd be quite excited myself but I wish they'd get things into perspective.

I'm a sports nut and will certainly enjoy watching the athletics and the cycling events, but I too am sick and tired of all the 'build up bulltulip' that accompanies sports events. One of my bugbears is the multitude of anthems, opera singers, choirs, marching bands, dancing groups, battle re-enactments, preposterous analysis, 'player stats' and fireworks displays that seem to precede international rugby matches these days, but I can imagine that anyone would be bored with this Olympic build up especially if they're not sports fans.

Personally I've always had the attitude of 'cut the crap and get on with the game' and I think most sportspeople feel that way.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Opening ceremonies. I hate them. Expensive waste of time. For 2012 it's now up to £85 million quid, which would be better spent elsewhere.

Even many of the sportsmen themselves don't want them. If I were competing in the Olympics I'd tell Seb Coe to feck off. Which is not likely to happen, but still.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
        Opening ceremonies. I hate them. Expensive waste of time. For 2012 it's now up to £85 million quid, which would be better spent elsewhere.Even many of the sportsmen themselves don't want them. If I were competing in the Olympics I'd tell Seb Coe to feck off. Which is not likely to happen, but still.
        WDSS

I think the Olympics could do with some slimming down as well. Any sport for which the Olympics is not the pinnacle of the athlete's achievements should go; especially thinking of tennis and football here, but I'm sure there are others.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          WDSS

I think the Olympics could do with some slimming down as well. Any sport for which the Olympics is not the pinnacle of the athlete's achievements should go; especially thinking of tennis and football here, but I'm sure there are others.
          Isn't Golf on the agenda at the next Olympics?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
            Isn't Golf on the agenda at the next Olympics?
            Dunno but I hope not. Rugby 7s is on the agenda too; on the one hand I'm delighted as I'll probably see my mates competing, but on the other hand it goes against my wish to see the Olympics being slimmed down; there's already a 7s world cup and arguably international 7s isn't even the highest level; many of the invitation teams and commercial 7s teams play a higher standard, which explains why national teams often compete in tournaments under pseudonyms; it could be embarrassing otherwise.

Comment

I agree & yes I'm fed up with all the waffle already
              Growing old is mandatory
              Growing up is optional

Comment

Dunno but I hope not. Rugby 7s is on the agenda too; on the one hand I'm delighted as I'll probably see my mates competing, but on the other hand it goes against my wish to see the Olympics being slimmed down; there's already a 7s world cup and arguably international 7s isn't even the highest level; many of the invitation teams and commercial 7s teams play a higher standard, which explains why national teams often compete in tournaments under pseudonyms; it could be embarrassing otherwise.
                Do they still do the Rosslyn Park Sevens?

Comment

I'm fed up of hearing about it, but I'm also hoping the revenue it generates from tourism and the like will help lift the country somewhat
                  In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
                    Do they still do the Rosslyn Park Sevens?
                    Yep, it's the London Floodlit Sevens these days and well worth visiting.

Played in that, donkey's years ago back in the 90s when 7s was still an end of season piss-up and not so developed as it is now.

Nice club too; a real rugby 'club' and not a bloated business.

Comment

Working...
                    X