PDA

View Full Version : Olympics - anyone else...

pacharan
11th January 2012, 09:53
...sick and tired of it already?

Everytime I put the news on they show the clock counting down the days to the start along with some dull story about some bizarre minority sport.

It's like Chinese water torture.

After the build up will be the event itself followed by the Paralympics (with which the BBC will saturate their output) and then all the self congratulatory retrospective stuff afterwards.

I know this sounds churlish and I'm sure a lot of people will get pleasure from it. If it were the world cup we were hosting, I'd be quite excited myself but I wish they'd get things into perspective.

Mich the Tester
11th January 2012, 10:18
I'm a sports nut and will certainly enjoy watching the athletics and the cycling events, but I too am sick and tired of all the 'build up bullshit' that accompanies sports events. One of my bugbears is the multitude of anthems, opera singers, choirs, marching bands, dancing groups, battle re-enactments, preposterous analysis, 'player stats' and fireworks displays that seem to precede international rugby matches these days, but I can imagine that anyone would be bored with this Olympic build up especially if they're not sports fans.

Personally I've always had the attitude of 'cut the crap and get on with the game' and I think most sportspeople feel that way.

Doggy Styles
11th January 2012, 10:27
Opening ceremonies. I hate them. Expensive waste of time. For 2012 it's now up to £85 million quid, which would be better spent elsewhere.

Even many of the sportsmen themselves don't want them. If I were competing in the Olympics I'd tell Seb Coe to feck off. Which is not likely to happen, but still.

Mich the Tester
11th January 2012, 10:31
Opening ceremonies. I hate them. Expensive waste of time. For 2012 it's now up to £85 million quid, which would be better spent elsewhere.Even many of the sportsmen themselves don't want them. If I were competing in the Olympics I'd tell Seb Coe to feck off. Which is not likely to happen, but still.

WDSS

I think the Olympics could do with some slimming down as well. Any sport for which the Olympics is not the pinnacle of the athlete's achievements should go; especially thinking of tennis and football here, but I'm sure there are others.

Doggy Styles
11th January 2012, 10:33
WDSS

I think the Olympics could do with some slimming down as well. Any sport for which the Olympics is not the pinnacle of the athlete's achievements should go; especially thinking of tennis and football here, but I'm sure there are others.Isn't Golf on the agenda at the next Olympics?

Mich the Tester
11th January 2012, 10:37
Isn't Golf on the agenda at the next Olympics?

Dunno but I hope not. Rugby 7s is on the agenda too; on the one hand I'm delighted as I'll probably see my mates competing, but on the other hand it goes against my wish to see the Olympics being slimmed down; there's already a 7s world cup and arguably international 7s isn't even the highest level; many of the invitation teams and commercial 7s teams play a higher standard, which explains why national teams often compete in tournaments under pseudonyms; it could be embarrassing otherwise.

Halo Jones
11th January 2012, 10:40
I think the Olympics could do with some slimming down as well. Any sport for which the Olympics is not the pinnacle of the athlete's achievements should go; especially thinking of tennis and football here, but I'm sure there are others.

I agree & yes I'm fed up with all the waffle already :suicide:

pacharan
11th January 2012, 10:45
Dunno but I hope not. Rugby 7s is on the agenda too; on the one hand I'm delighted as I'll probably see my mates competing, but on the other hand it goes against my wish to see the Olympics being slimmed down; there's already a 7s world cup and arguably international 7s isn't even the highest level; many of the invitation teams and commercial 7s teams play a higher standard, which explains why national teams often compete in tournaments under pseudonyms; it could be embarrassing otherwise.

Do they still do the Rosslyn Park Sevens?

The Spartan
11th January 2012, 10:51
I'm fed up of hearing about it, but I'm also hoping the revenue it generates from tourism and the like will help lift the country somewhat

Mich the Tester
11th January 2012, 10:51
Do they still do the Rosslyn Park Sevens?

Yep, it's the London Floodlit Sevens these days and well worth visiting.

Played in that, donkey's years ago back in the 90s when 7s was still an end of season piss-up and not so developed as it is now.

Nice club too; a real rugby 'club' and not a bloated business.

wobbegong
11th January 2012, 12:03
I'm still amazed that someone somewhere got a fat cheque for designing that logo.

I'll never see Lisa Simpson in the same light again.

BrilloPad
11th January 2012, 13:07
...sick and tired of it already?

Me. I would be in favour - but not after the ticketing fiasco. There should have been one global ticket site - and people only allowed to apply for one ticket each.

SantaClaus
11th January 2012, 13:27
The Olympics is just an excuse for diplomats to be wined and dined whilst London is put to huge inconvenience.

Doggy Styles
11th January 2012, 13:43
I used to love the Olympics as a kid. But it was just sport then. Trouble was, they always used to make a loss so not many wanted to host them.

I cannot believe having rugby, tennis and golf in the Olympics. It will be F1 next.

Arturo Bassick
11th January 2012, 13:43
I'm still amazed that someone somewhere got a fat cheque for designing that logo.

I'll never see Lisa Simpson in the same light again.Lisa?
I see Sideshow Bob giving Bart a blow job.

Bumfluff
11th January 2012, 13:55
I just concerned how safe London will be from terrorists during the olympics particulally the tube. I don't feel safe on it now and last week on the jubilee line some nutter got up and started shouting in my carriage 'There is only 1 god I'm kill you all and take you to bliss', thought my time was up :eek

The Spartan
11th January 2012, 14:26
There is a certain element of risk given the climate we live in today, that make it an ideal target if someone decided that they wanted to make a statement.

pacharan
11th January 2012, 14:30
I just concerned how safe London will be from terrorists during the olympics particulally the tube. I don't feel safe on it now and last week on the jubilee line some nutter got up and started shouting in my carriage 'There is only 1 god I'm kill you all and take you to bliss', thought my time was up :eek

I shouldn't worry about it my lovely.

London will be bristling with surface to air missiles during August.

Mich the Tester
11th January 2012, 14:34
There is a certain element of risk given the climate we live in today, that make it an ideal target if someone decided that they wanted to make a statement.

I guess that applies to every big event in London though, or any major western city for that matter.

DimPrawn
11th January 2012, 14:39
sasguru's getting £20K out of it (£10K after tax) so it's all worthwhile.

Also, I think it's really important to find out which country has the fastest black person.

:happy

Mich the Tester
11th January 2012, 14:44
sasguru's getting £20K out of it (£10K after tax) so it's all worthwhile.

Also, I think it's really important to find out which country has the fastest black person.:happy

Probably Jamaica.

Christophe Lemaitre could shake things up though, and he's white.

TimberWolf
11th January 2012, 16:51
Also, I think it's really important to find out which country has the fastest black person.

:happy

Nearly all the sprinters who have beaten the 10-second barrier are of West African descent. Namibian (formerly South-West Africa) Frankie Fredericks became the first man of non-West African heritage to achieve the feat in 1991 and in 2003 Australia's Patrick Johnson (who has Irish and Indigenous Australian heritage) became the first sub-10-second runner without an African background.[5][6][7][8] Frenchman Christophe Lemaitre became the first white European under ten seconds in 2010 (although Poland's Marian Woronin had unofficially surpassed the barrier with a time of 9.992 seconds in 1984).[9] In 2011, Zimbabwean Ngonidzashe Makusha became the 76th man to break the barrier, yet only the fourth man not of West African descent.[10] No sprinter of predominantly Asian or East African descent has officially achieved this feat.[11][12][13]
10-second barrier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10-second_barrier)

Presumably there was something worth running away from or chasing at high speed in that neck of the woods.

Mich the Tester
11th January 2012, 16:57
Presumably there was something worth running away from or chasing at high speed in that neck of the woods.

Yep, but interestingly Lemaitre is, at 21, quicker than Asafa Powell, Tyson Gay and many others at 21, which suggests he has potential to run quite a bit faster than 9.92 if his career is managed well.

NickFitz
11th January 2012, 17:47
Lisa?
I see Sideshow Bob giving Bart a blow job.

No, Sideshow Bob's hair is wavy:

http://g1egz.com/side-show-bob.jpg

Lisa's is straight:

http://www.celebitchy.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/olympiclogoheader.jpg