• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Supermarket fuel

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supermarket fuel

A couple of months ago the guy in front of me in a Tesco petrol station was remonstrating about how he filled up the previous week but didn't get anywhere near the miles from the same quantity of fuel he usually bought elsewhere (his demands for a management investigation into the calibration of the pumps predictably fell on deaf ears).

Well I thought I'd keep any eye on my own fuel usage, and it seems there might be something in it.

I've noticed x litres of fuel from supermarkets (Tesco and Sainsburys) doesn't go as far as x litres from a 'High Street' petrol station, over the same journeys and driving conditions.

Anyone else noticed this?
    The vegetarian option.

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
    A couple of months ago the guy in front of me in a Tesco petrol station was remonstrating about how he filled up the previous week but didn't get anywhere near the miles from the same quantity of fuel he usually bought elsewhere (his demands for a management investigation into the calibration of the pumps predictably fell on deaf ears).

Well I thought I'd keep any eye on my own fuel usage, and it seems there might be something in it.

I've noticed x litres of fuel from supermarkets (Tesco and Sainsburys) doesn't go as far as x litres from a 'High Street' petrol station, over the same journeys and driving conditions.

You sure its not just because its getting colder?? colder weather denser air = more fuel burned

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post

Nope.

In the old days, supermarket fuel was not having the detergents added to the same way. According to a tanker driver I worked with in a local petrol station as a kid.

These days, Texaco fuel may well end up at any other company, hence there is not a seperate pipeline for individual fuel retailers in the old days. Eg, DHL serve the same fuel to many companies, including Jet and other supermarkets.

I reset my fuel economy display at every fill-up from wherever I get it from - supermarket, shell, etc, and NO difference at all.

Comment

Yep - Shell has always been the best in terms of quality. The engine stays clean and you get better mileage. I have a diesel and a petrol and I think it is more the case for petrol than diesel.

Comment

Using Shell all the time ever since BP decided to leave local petrol station, I guess they ain't in business of selling fuel anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Joeman View Post
            You sure its not just because its getting colder?? colder weather denser air = more fuel burned
            Possibly, although it's not really that much colder at the moment than it was in October and November.
            The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
              Nope.

In the old days, supermarket fuel was not having the detergents added to the same way. According to a tanker driver I worked with in a local petrol station as a kid.

These days, Texaco fuel may well end up at any other company, hence there is not a seperate pipeline for individual fuel retailers in the old days. Eg, DHL serve the same fuel to many companies, including Jet and other supermarkets.

I reset my fuel economy display at every fill-up from wherever I get it from - supermarket, shell, etc, and NO difference at all.
              The detergents and such are added at the point when the fuel is pumped out of the tanker. A tanker driver may deliver half his load at a branded site and the other half at a supermarket, but the additives won't necessarily be the same. To be precise, they slot a card in which controls which additives and in what proportions are added as the fuel is pumped out. The supermarkets get a different card to the branded sites.

Comment

Many moons ago I was working with a contractor chappie who had a Fiat sports car - the FIAT dealership had advised him not to use Supermarket petrol in his car - which was the first time he (and I) had heard anything like this mentioned

As long as the fuel is to the correct BS/EN regulations there shouldn't be any difference and I believe the supermarkets sign deals with the big players which would also suggest same stuff just re-badged
                AtW used to swear by paying for the premium diesel with extra cetane i have never seen any benefit in doing so and will continue to use my exclusive blend of paraffin and engine oil in my trusty 4x4 (a mere joke m'lud)

Anyone remember the Shell cleaner fuel of the late 90's that fooked up your engine?
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

A few times I have notice the first squirt from the pumps has delivered nothing, lost about 500ml.
                  Other times I have seen air pockets and bubbles.
                  Diesel often has water added through condensation in storage tanks although some oil companies have been accused of adding water as it is very profitable to do so
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    Using Shell all the time ever since BP decided to leave local petrol station, I guess they ain't in business of selling fuel anymore.
                    They are - the one in our village used to be Shell and changed to BP. If you look around you'll find loads of BP stations.
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                    X