PDA

View Full Version : Unemployed graduate sues ministers for being 'forced' to stack shelves in Poundland

AtW
11th January 2012, 22:03
It is my human right not to work for Poundland: Graduate who faced losing benefit sues ministers

1) Cait Reilly has been looking for work since graduating in the summer
2) She volunteered at a museum until ordered to accept two-week placement
3) Her lawyer says the 'forced labour' breaches her human rights

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/01/11/article-2085142-0F6A37AA00000578-534_634x423.jpg

Miss Reilly is now taking landmark legal action against the Government after being told she risked losing her £53.45-a-week Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) payment if she turned down the two-week unpaid work experience stint at Poundland.

Lawyers for the graduate are seeking a judicial review into Department for Work and Pensions rules that compel unemployed people to take unpaid work.

They say the scheme, part of the Coalition’s Work Programme to break the cycle of benefit dependency, amounts to ‘forced labour’ and is against the Human Rights Act.

The Government programme aims to help around 250,000 young people over the next two years through training and unpaid work experience in the public, private and charity sectors. Placement providers include chains such as Tesco, Sainsbury’s, Argos and Asda.

Source: Unemployed graduate sues ministers for being 'forced' to stack shelves in Poundland | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2085142/Unemployed-graduate-sues-ministers-forced-stack-shelves-Poundland.html)

Legal aid FTW.

doodab
11th January 2012, 22:09
No doubt dodgy is seething about this and planning to phone his MP in the morning to demand some slaves of his own.

DodgyAgent
11th January 2012, 22:12
No doubt dodgy is seething about this and planning to phone his MP in the morning to demand some slaves of his own.

Already on it.. 10 polish graduate CVs in there already

:cool1:

AtW
11th January 2012, 22:15
Already on it.. 10 polish graduate CVs in there already

You've learnt to speak Polish now tovarisch?

doodab
11th January 2012, 22:16
Presumably I could offer one of those comp sci graddies that can't get a job a few weeks unpaid experience as my lacky and get them to do all the tedious shit I don't like.

sasguru
11th January 2012, 22:19
If she wasn't a complete moose, she could turn tricks and/or be a high class hooker for hundreds a night. Life just isn't fair.

shaunbhoy
11th January 2012, 22:22
If she wasn't a complete moose, she could turn tricks and/or be a high class hooker for hundreds a night. Life just isn't fair.

She could always get a job frightening rats I suppose. Never seen anyone that ugly with only one head before.

:eek

sasguru
11th January 2012, 22:26
She could always get a job frightening rats I suppose. Never seen anyone that ugly with only one head before.

Having said which she could marry AtW, provided she signed a pre-nup
:rollin::rollin::rollin:

AtW
11th January 2012, 22:27
Having said which she could marry AtW, provided she signed a pre-nup

No frivolous lawsuits and being able to have a good job are also requirements so I'll pass on this one.

HTH

shaunbhoy
11th January 2012, 22:30
And her hair. She is obviously a big fan of Gary Oldman in the Fifth Element.

http://images1.fanpop.com/images/photos/1500000/The-Fifth-Element-gary-oldman-1533103-852-480.jpg

EternalOptimist
11th January 2012, 22:30
geology graduate eh.

she should be the one to help the russki get his rocks off

:rolleyes:

AtW
11th January 2012, 22:32
And her hair. She is obviously a big fan of Gary Oldman in the Fifth Element.

http://images1.fanpop.com/images/photos/1500000/The-Fifth-Element-gary-oldman-1533103-852-480.jpg

:rollin:

MarillionFan
11th January 2012, 22:49
"No one shall be required to perform forced or compulsory labour."

She is correct. It is an infringement of her human rights. She doesn't have to do it.

And we shouldn't have to give her any benefits.

Win - win.

Next!

AtW
11th January 2012, 22:50

She is correct. It is an infringement of her human rights. She doesn't have to do it.

Win - win.

Next!

Have you considered becoming a judge? :eyes

MarillionFan
11th January 2012, 22:52
Have you considered becoming a judge? :eyes

You can't dance, you can't sing & you look awful.

Next!

mudskipper
12th January 2012, 06:10
I think she has a point. She was already doing unpaid work experience in a museum, which presumably has some relevance to her degree and ultimately will help her get career.

Skivvying for two weeks for free isn't going to help anyone except poundland.

Seems fair enough expecting the unemployed to take the opportunity of work experience, but she was / is already proactively doing this - sounds like an inflexible policy aimed at the workshy and applied without discrimination.

TiroFijo
12th January 2012, 07:04
geology graduate eh.

she should be the one to help the russki get his rocks off

:rolleyes:

They're some stones that should be left unturned

Joeman
12th January 2012, 07:08
I think she has a point. She was already doing unpaid work experience in a museum, which presumably has some relevance to her degree and ultimately will help her get career.

The people in the Job Centre who make these kinds of decisions are only working there because they themselves couldn’t get a job and were forced to take the role at the Job Centre!! do you think they bother to take time to think about this kind of thing?? I doubt it as they themselves would likely rather be some place else.. common sense?? they are not paid to have common sense, just to fill out forms, tick boxes and move onto the next candidate. system is floored.

DodgyAgent
12th January 2012, 07:23
You've learnt to speak Polish now tovarisch?

Tak

DodgyAgent
12th January 2012, 07:25

Win - win.

Next!

WHS :yay:

Mich the Tester
12th January 2012, 10:17
It is my human right not to work for Poundland: Graduate who faced losing benefit sues ministers

1) Cait Reilly has been looking for work since graduating in the summer
2) She volunteered at a museum until ordered to accept two-week placement
3) Her lawyer says the 'forced labour' breaches her human rights

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/01/11/article-2085142-0F6A37AA00000578-534_634x423.jpg

Miss Reilly is now taking landmark legal action against the Government after being told she risked losing her £53.45-a-week Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) payment if she turned down the two-week unpaid work experience stint at Poundland.

Lawyers for the graduate are seeking a judicial review into Department for Work and Pensions rules that compel unemployed people to take unpaid work.

They say the scheme, part of the Coalition’s Work Programme to break the cycle of benefit dependency, amounts to ‘forced labour’ and is against the Human Rights Act.

The Government programme aims to help around 250,000 young people over the next two years through training and unpaid work experience in the public, private and charity sectors. Placement providers include chains such as Tesco, Sainsbury’s, Argos and Asda.

Source: Unemployed graduate sues ministers for being 'forced' to stack shelves in Poundland | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2085142/Unemployed-graduate-sues-ministers-forced-stack-shelves-Poundland.html)

Legal aid FTW.

I see that Poundland, being quite a large business, have quite a lot of opportunities for graduates to get on in life; Home - Poundland Careers Website (http://www.poundlandcareers.co.uk/)

Perhaps she should speak to the HR people about training and progression, and just be glad she's got her foot in the door at a major employer instead of considering herself so bleeding superior.

Are graduates not taught things like initiative, communication skills and how to get things done?

Mich the Tester
12th January 2012, 10:32
Oh, and before you ask, no I wouldn't.

SimonMac
12th January 2012, 10:35
I can see where she is coming from, the only people to benefit from this is Poundland who are getting free labour, if she has got voluntary work elsewhere (in a field she is more likely to get a better paid job) this should settle the Job Center that they are not sat on her arse sponging.

SimonMac
12th January 2012, 10:36

Wouldn't what? Shop in Poundland or tap that?

Mich the Tester
12th January 2012, 10:36
Wouldn't what? Shop in Poundland or tap that?

Tap that minger.

SimonMac
12th January 2012, 10:39
Tap that minger.

As a Geology student I bet she is really dirty while getting her rocks off

Mich the Tester
12th January 2012, 10:41
I can see where she is coming from, the only people to benefit from this is Poundland who are getting free labour, if she has got voluntary work elsewhere (in a field she is more likely to get a better paid job) this should settle the Job Center that they are not sat on her arse sponging.

This is a worthwhile point, but nobody's saying she has to give up her voluntary work at the museum, just do a bit of work experience at poundland and then go back to the museum, however the work experience offers an opportunity to show her skills to an employer who might be able to give her a paid job. Now OK, I can't imagine Poundland hire lots of Geologists to survey the earth under their stores, but how many people really do the job they've studied to do? Not many. I'm sure that if she has scientific skills and logical and mathematical ability she could make herself useful at head office, perhaps in a logistics management role, IT, planning etc. She just has to show some initiative; get in, talk with HR, write to the directors, offer the store manager to help with anything and show some initiative. By refusing she's just given a very bad impression of herself and I dare say that even employers of geologists would be put off by what she's doing.

Mich the Tester
12th January 2012, 11:29

Yep, sorry, stoopid question.

sunnysan
12th January 2012, 12:09
Although in practice, any work experience could result in gainful employment, a system which forces people to work for free or lose their social security is open to abuse.

53 GBP per week JSA is the equivelent of (Lets make it partime 20 hour week) about 2.65 GBP / hour.

Surely PoundLand can pay this paltry sum to someone? They would pay more for bottom of the rung agency staff. Even illegal immigrants would not work for that.

Personally I think if PoundLand want to employ her they should compensate her for her time for what she woudl lose on JSA.

Where I grew up I had no recourse to unemployment insurance and survived on what I could make tending bars, answering phones in call centres, driving pompous dciks around etc, and taking free work placements to get the experience and make the contacts I needed to get a software engineering job. But I was not co-erced or forced by deprivation of incumbent income to do this.

Ergo if I did work I didnt consider relevent, obviously I would want to be compensated for it.

If the country wants to stop paying benefits to people thats another matter but this particualr scenario turns a Job Centre into a body shop rather than a vehicle to assist people to find gainful employment.

MarillionFan
12th January 2012, 12:11

But this one has a pulse! Since when did you start getting picky?

d000hg
12th January 2012, 12:20
Presumably I could offer one of those comp sci graddies that can't get a job a few weeks unpaid experience as my lacky and get them to do all the tedious tulip I don't like.If you had a proper business then I suppose so. That would actually be useful experience though, and would not be a bad thing at all. Work experience on a till doing something undergrads do for extra cash before graduating is a joke.

Skivvying for two weeks for free isn't going to help anyone except poundland.

Seems fair enough expecting the unemployed to take the opportunity of work experience, but she was / is already proactively doing this - sounds like an inflexible policy aimed at the workshy and applied without discrimination.Definitely. It's simply a case of the system being inflexible.

I see that Poundland, being quite a large business, have quite a lot of opportunities for graduates to get on in life; Home - Poundland Careers Website (http://www.poundlandcareers.co.uk/)

Perhaps she should speak to the HR people about training and progression, and just be glad she's got her foot in the door at a major employer instead of considering herself so bleeding superior.How is stacking shelves "a foot in the door" for a proper job at the company. They should give her a proper WE placement doing something useful, and save menial placements for those who really need to be trained how to work in the first place.

I am surprised Mich is endorsing working without pay :)

BrilloPad
12th January 2012, 12:23
The UK has to get used to its new world status. People should be grateful to have any sort of work atall.

d000hg
12th January 2012, 12:27
The UK has to get used to its new world status. People should be grateful to have any sort of work atall.Yes, if it pays. I agree a graduate should not turn down a crap job if they can't find something suitable after a shortish period, but being made to work for free stacking shelves, under the pretence of "work experience" is daft.

AtW
12th January 2012, 12:29
Why Poundland gets away with not paying anything for this work as it seems suggested? Surely sueing it for not paying minimum wage would be more appropriate.

The Spartan
12th January 2012, 12:32
Why Poundland gets away with not paying anything for this work as it seems suggested? Surely sueing it for not paying minimum wage would be more appropriate.

I agree, they make tons of cash their stores are always busy. Surely they could afford to pay her for the two weeks

MarillionFan
12th January 2012, 12:33
And who's paying for the legal challenge??

We already know the answer to that, the rug munching freeloader.

BrilloPad
12th January 2012, 12:35
Yes, if it pays. I agree a graduate should not turn down a crap job if they can't find something suitable after a shortish period, but being made to work for free stacking shelves, under the pretence of "work experience" is daft.

If you study geology then what do you expect? Should have studied something useful.

Mich the Tester
12th January 2012, 12:39
If you study geology then what do you expect? Should have studied something useful.

Yep, she should have done Meedjah Studies.

The Spartan
12th January 2012, 12:41
How much do graduates have to earn before they have to start paying their student loan back?

doomage
12th January 2012, 12:42
She should move to Australia, the mining companies out there are always looking for geologists.

And the mines are in the kind of backwater where men haven't seen a "Sheila" for months and are probably desperate enough that they, you know, "would".

d000hg
12th January 2012, 12:48
If you study geology then what do you expect? Should have studied something useful.Geology is one of the more genuinely useful courses you can study. It's used in conjunction with architecture as well as mining, oil/gas,disaster planning, and waste disposal.

d000hg
12th January 2012, 12:50
Why Poundland gets away with not paying anything for this work as it seems suggested? Because the whole point is those on the dole have to take unpaid work placements if they can't get a job, to prevent people claiming benefits for years without working. Which is great, as long as you use it on those people - for some a work placement in £land would be useful - and not simply fit any job-seeker into any placement scheme.

northernladyuk
12th January 2012, 13:24

It's not an easy life you know. I gave it up 30 years ago and have only gone back to it because the old man is back on the old rock 'n' roll, and the kiddies need feeding.

northernladuk
12th January 2012, 13:27
It's not an easy life you know. I gave it up 30 years ago and have only gone back to it because the old man is back on the old rock 'n' roll, and the kiddies need feeding.

And it is still costing me everything I have and am not getting any 30 years later!!

Now the shut gob woman and putwoodint'ole

BrilloPad
12th January 2012, 13:34
Geology is one of the more genuinely useful courses you can study. It's used in conjunction with architecture as well as mining, oil/gas,disaster planning, and waste disposal.

Yes - good points. I wonder why she cannot get a job then?

northernladyuk
12th January 2012, 13:41
And it is still costing me everything I have and am not getting any 30 years later!!

Now the shut gob woman and putwoodint'ole

I wish! Every night I lie there wishing you would leave that computer and satisfy my womanly needs.

Even wearing my new keyboard knickers and moaning, 'Google me, Google me!' doesn't stir your desire any more.

Spacecadet
12th January 2012, 13:42
I wish! Every night I lie there wishing you would leave that computer and satisfy my womanly needs.

Even wearing my new keyboard knickers and moaning, 'Google me, Google me!' doesn't stir your desire any more.

Try shouting "Just Bing It"

d000hg
12th January 2012, 13:51
Yes - good points. I wonder why she cannot get a job then?Well she only graduated in the summer and things aren't exactly great right now...

MarillionFan
12th January 2012, 13:53

The Spartan
12th January 2012, 13:54
At the moment I think it's £15k, but it's going up to sommat like £22k.

Dear me that's going to a while before the money is repaid