• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Signor Benes - bbq advice please

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Signor Benes - bbq advice please

What do you recommend Milan? I understand you're the resident expert.

Definitely want a charcoal burner. I hear what you devotees of gas powered units are saying but I'm sold on charcoal.

Thinking about getting a Weber. Don't know whether to go for an entry level kettle or something bigger. Definitely want to be doing smoked turkey this year.

What's a good price for a Weber? Wife and I are often touring our local garden centres and we often see so called special offers but are never sure if the prices are any good.

Do you have your finger on the pulse of the bbq bargain basement?

Thanks awfully in advance.

Non ci sta Milan?

Comment

Hi,
      I too enjoy a good BBQ

here are a few links.

1) Weber do an easy light kettle BBQ now that uses a small gas tank to ignite the charcoal. This is a handy idea if you were not in the scouts and get fed up fanning the flames trying to get the coals to take.

Performer® with gas ignition | Weber

They also do a simple chimney that you pile the coals into and then scrunch some paper up underneath and let physics do the rest. These are great, and very handy if you are smoking food as you can set up the next batch of coals as the current batch burns cold...

Weber® Chimney Starter | Weber

As for the choice of BBQ:
      You need to be careful of the size as it's better to have a BBQ that is the right size for your family rather than the one time in the year you cook for everyone other wise you endup needing to use more coal than necessary.

I have a Hotspot large steel grill

Hotspot Deck 600mm Charcoal BBQ Grill

It is great for cooking for a big party and the old ones were are made of spun steel. Mine has lasted 5 years so far and just got its first rub down and respray last year. I paid £150 for it and I would say that its paid me back 3 times over by now.

Its only issues are a lack of lid (so you need to use steel bowl to cover the meat if you a are smoking ) and it needs a 5K bag of coal in order to get the heat right.

As for smoking food all you could ever want can be found

Food Smoking - Food Smoking | Hot Smoked

Im hungry now

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
        Hi,
        I too enjoy a good BBQ

here are a few links...
        Some useful info there. Thanks.

Do you leave yours out all year or bring it in? Space is a bit limited owing to my collection of lawnmowers.

I notice you're west country too. Do you know any good stockists or outlets that sell this stuff. Garden centres maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
          Some useful info there. Thanks.

Do you leave yours out all year or bring it in? Space is a bit limited owing to my collection of lawnmowers.

I notice you're west country too. Do you know any good stockists or outlets that sell this stuff. Garden centres maybe?
          Yes I leave my BBQ out all year. I bought a heavy duty table cover to keep the worst off. As for stockists. I bought my grill from a hotspot outlet in street shortly before they went bust.

You can try dobbies or haskins as they both stock Weber.

Barbecues | Charcoal Barbecues | Portable Charcoal Barbecue | Charcoal Barbecue Grills | Dobbies.com

Welcome to Haskins

Unless you go hunting online I doubt you are going to get a great deal at this time of the year.
          Good BBQ's are expensive because they wont rot through in a single season. I have had my table top weber portable for 3 years and its as good as new. I store that under the big BBQ with all my other cooking stuff. not bad for amazon £35 purchase. If I was able to justify it I would replace my hotspot with a Weber smokey mountain

Comment

Shepton Mallet. Not far from me then. I'll be in the Poachers Pocket this Saturday oddly enough.

The Otter at Wincanton also has a good supply.

Comment

yo Pacharan,

apologies for the delay in responding was over the old bridge visiting the folks,

ouch £6 to cross these days

anyways,

the benefit of hindsight....

I have the classic weber one touch gold....

Weber 57cm One-Touch Premium

mine is 2 years old and when I saw they sell them now with the thermometre I got a thermometre from the US and installed it on mine, it really helps simply with having an idea of which way the temperature is going

on top of that I sit one of these bad boyz....

Weber Charcoal Rotisserie (57cm only) | 8474

the rotisserie,

once you have the rotisserie there's really no turning back, it takes grilling to a new level

to go with that package I have this weber book which provides great reading in the winter time and inspiration for wonderful dishes,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Webers-Way-G...6742446&sr=8-1

and on top of that, I have most of the accessories on this page...

Weber Accessories, Weber Barbecue Accessories, Weber BBQ Accesssories, Weber Style Accessories, Barbecue Accessories, Charcoal, Gas barbecue

(well if the wife can have the rolls royce of kitchens why can't me bbq be the same standard ?)

now, the benefit of experience and old age,

much as I am over the moon with my setup and what can br produced on it,

if I were to do it again.....

I'd follow Bobspud's advice and get the performer model....

Weber Performer Gas/Charcoal Hybrid Barbecue - 1421004 - The Weber Performer cook on charcoal ignite with Gas

why ?

because, when you run the classic one touch, and you have the rotisserie on the top with 6 or 7 kg's of meat going round, it is really top heavy

on those three legs it does not seem super stable, it sits fine and we've not had an accident but I really keep an eye on the children that they don't go near it because for sure, it could go over,

hence, if I were to do it again, only from the motivation of stability with the rotisserie on the top I'd get the performer

from time to time I look on ebay for second hand performers, they go for a about £30 and I'd happily get a second hand one and simply replace their grill layer with mine

that's the benefit of experience eh

get the charcoal and make sure to get the rotisserie

all the best

Milan.

Comment

If I was able to justify it I would replace my hotspot with a Weber smokey mountain

you and me both

if I could just get my mrs to sign of the PO I'd have the Smokey Mountain 57cm tomorrow

oh well

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                X