• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Status Meetings

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Status Meetings

Why is it that when there is loads of work, management think that the best way to handle it is to have everyone in a status meeting every day?
    Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
    Why is it that when there is loads of work, management think that the best way to handle it is to have everyone in a status meeting every day?
    Hourly ones I've had when projects are late. Each lasting 45 minutes.

Comment

I used to work on a failing account that had daily status meetings that lasted 2-3 hours and bascially went over the same old ground. I canned most of them on the grounds that I could usefully spend the time fixing the problems instead of being dragged around in circles. I changed the reporting so that it showed good news.

Funny how the bloke that took over from me couldn't keep the same level up....

Comment

Managed properly they help stop wasted effort and maintain the teams focus and drive.
        I've found that an issue log followed by - is there anything else which needs to be raised meeting is best. No round table status updates, attendance is compulsary and anything which needs more than 2 minutes discussion is left for those involved to sort out afterwards
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

I know, I know, it's stupid, unproductive and infuriating. I've tried to master the art of sleeping with my eyes open but just can't get the knack of it. Just invoice, man, invoice.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I started my new contract just after a guy had been newly promoted into a "team lead" position.

He interviewed me too, and is a decent enough guy.

Unfortunately a week or so after I started he implemented a new bi-weekly status report that all the devs have to email him detailing everything you have been doing in the preceding 2 weeks.

This afternoon, we have a 2 hour meeting to go through it all, discuss etc

sigh!

Comment

Working...
            X