• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How's this for the sheer excitement of scientific research?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How's this for the sheer excitement of scientific research?

The Pitch Drop Experiment | School of Mathematics and Physics

Now I expect you all to sit there & wait for the 9th drop to drop.

So exciting I daren't click the link in case I explode.

Reminded me of the news the other week where they were on about the latest discoveries in the search for Higgs Boson. There was a woman being interviewed who said the news was the most exciting thing that's ever happened to her as she's dedicated her life to researching this stuff.

After briefly musing that she must be good in bed (), I heard the interviewer ask her what it would mean for normal people. She just looked perplexed by the question. Poor thing probably doesn't get out of the lab much.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Bit off topic but sort of sciency. Saw something the other day that seemed completely wrong. Some simple things don't work as you expect.

Take a big piece of hardboard, hang it from a double length of rope in a windy place. What happens? I'd say it would just flap about or, if the rope was not quite central, it would just stay in one position with the smaller end into the wind like a sale. It doesn't, it rotates at an almost constant pace, first one way then the other and it never stops.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Bit off topic but sort of sciency. Saw something the other day that seemed completely wrong. Some simple things don't work as you expect.

Take a big piece of hardboard, hang it from a double length of rope in a windy place. What happens? I'd say it would just flap about or, if the rope was not quite central, it would just stay in one position with the smaller end into the wind like a sale. It doesn't, it rotates at an almost constant pace, first one way then the other and it never stops.
        Interesting observation. Rotating one way and then the other could be explained by an opposite torque produced in the winding rope, but not the reason for an initial sustained rotation in one direction.

Just tried it myself with a wall calendar hanging off some cord, but with the added complication of the lampshade swinging about too. I observed the same phenomenon. The 'winding-up' (initial) rotation was always in the same preferred direction however, in 5 not so carefully controlled trials. Initially there was a period of flapping about and general too'ing fro'ing, culminating in a feeble rotation in the opposite direction to that of the subsequent full steam 360 degree rotations, until such time that the cord built up sufficient torque for rotation to commence in the counter direction. Perhaps the 'board' isn't symmetrical about the centre of gravity in terms of surface area presented to the wind (my fan), or at least is less aerodynamic on one side of the CoG, and when it has begun rotating tends to keep going for some counter-intuitive reason.

Incidentally wind is defined as "air in motion" and "move by turning and twisting", "to turn, twist, wind"
        Online Etymology Dictionary

Maybe the ancients noticed that the wind (moving air) "winds". Ditto for wind mill.
        Last edited by TimberWolf; 13 January 2012, 18:15.

Comment

I think the lever principle explains it. The edge is being levered against the centre.
          Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
          Feist - I Feel It All
          Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

I would suggest it is to do with drag on the different sides of the board (rough and smooth) causing a difference in air pressure similar to lift generated by a wing.
            Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

artificial pitch glacier

I remember seeing this one when I was young.

So that makes it a very long running experiment.

Lord Kelvin's artificial pitch glacier

Comment

Working...
              X